2 European Larch designs

Hi guys, I have gotten some negative and strong reactions to these two trees. I simply wanted to try and create something different from the raw material as it’s easy to just hack everything and have your standard single trunk leader, etc. Also to have fun!
Larches are really an interesting breed as they tend to take on all shapes from your classic high-alpine shapes to something that looks like an old deciduous tree. I would appreciate your feedback and thoughts. Both of the pots are from a Czech potter that lives nearby, Jiři Svačina.

2 Likes

Since you are doing it for fun and not for the KOKUFU exhibition, the only question that needs to be answered is: Are you happy with the outcome?

1 Like

So Thomas, you asked for opinions so I will give you mine. The complex twisted branches are too busy and give me the sensation of turmoil. The formation of branch pads that are efficient are not only better for the tree’s long term health, but also for maintenance and future restyling.
Perhaps you were experimenting to see how far you could push the limits. If you are planning on having these trees healthy for a number of years, or decades, the most efficient solar collection is the way to go. I enjoyed the photos, and really like the containers. Thank you for sharing your ideas.:gem:

1 Like

check out the blog from Peter Warren…
“Making things look good today rather than considering the medium and long term future of a tree will result in a poor bonsai; constantly chasing your tail to maintain something that is unsustainable.”
Learn more about sustainable branch design in the latest blog post written by bonsai professional, Peter Warren. Click below to read.
https://bonsaimirai.com/node/783

2 Likes

I applaud your experimentation and think the pots are a great choice. Personally, I often find highly abstract weird trees provocative, they are often created from trees with very special characteristics and then the artist reveals this with deft-- it is much harder to create them from scratch or from rejected stock. Truth will be told over time because they still look quite raw. As usual, photos, especially with trees with less than specific designs, probably are not showing everything about your trees well, that being said, I am attracted more to the first tree than the second, probably because it looks less new. Ironically I too have many odd-ball larch compositions some of which I truly love. I believe the impression of age and naturalness even within something contrived is still really important. Good luck with your larch!

3 Likes

Will do, thanks for the link

1 Like

Thanks for your input Crust. They are both raw and freshly wired this winter.

1 Like

That’s a good point you make there. On the photographs, not so much but I do like them in person.

1 Like

Thank you for your input and your point Bob, yes I can see how the structure seems too busy and for sure I want this to be healthy for decades to come :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I like the the pots and the unusual shapes of these trees. I have two comments.

In the first tree, there are two conflicting design choices in the upper and lower branches, with some going up, others down. It would probably feel more harmonious if all went down.

In the second tree, there is my opinion some of the same confusion as above but also, I’d suggest that we are seeing at the back of the tree and in addition the branches are too long and the design would benefit from considerable shortening the branches and fostering ramification. That would maximise the proportions of the trunk.

My two cents, hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hey Rafi, yes I think some of the branches are currently too long but I kept some extra for recovery. Your points will make me look at cutting and possibly changing some of the structure in the future. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Real nice natural free forms, great pots.
Some clutter; cool, personal choices and taste. I love larches.
Post photos after they leaf out!

2 Likes

Thanks for your input Kurt. I love me some Larix as well, such an interesting species.

1 Like

Both of these are already about 13 days ago

• This one still doesn’t have as robust growth this year so I am making sure to try and get the balance of water and oxygen down and I have changed its location from sun all day to something less intense.
2 Likes

I have a tree that l got last year and repotted it a month ago. I was going to go a little unconventional with it as it seems the only way. Possibly a candelabra" multi apex direction. I have wired out the branches that were alive to increase the photosynthesis to all, and removed definite no branches. Nice to see it is not on its own.

Pot wise it will be a crescent

sort of shape i think.

2 Likes