Yamadori Hunting - Southern CA

Mike,

Thanks for the recommendation, I attended the Kofu Kai meeting last Saturday and look forward to being an active member moving forward. I’m not sure I had a chance to meet you (lots of new names and faces for me) but hopefully we get a chance to meet next meeting!

Nick Romero

1 Like

Hey Nick, that must have been you, the new guy i saw there helping out with the chairs, etc. that’s cool you came to the meeting. yeah meeting people with half their faces covered can be challenging. obviously not a normal meeting since it was more about club biz and future, but i think we’ll have someone demo in July, not sure who yet. i was glad to hear they want to start monthly workshops again and i may help do some teaching at those. anyway, i’ll be sure to introduce myself at the next meeting.

mike

1 Like

So is it dead in the OC. I’m really interested in collecting coast live oaks. I’d love to tag along or dig someone’s tree just to gather knowledge and info. I have really only collected a ash tree from a creek I live by.

1 Like

I’ve been gathering supplies in preparation for doing some yamadori hunting this fall. I got a root assassin shovel and a frame pack waiting to go after some California Junipers.

3 Likes

I’m in! I’ll go with you

2 Likes

Same here just send a location and time to meet up?
What months were you thinking?

1 Like

Hey guys, just came across this thread while trying to find some info about acquiring a yamadori permit. I’m in the LA area and have contacted park officials, rangers, forestry departments, etc and haven’t had any luck or good guidance. Going to try the BLM next based on what I read above (thanks!)

If any of you would like to plan a hunt soon, let me know!

Will any of you be at the Bonsai-A-Thon at Huntington Gardens Feb 25th and 26th?

Hi Luke, welcome to the forum. i dont know if anyone on this topic has had any luck so anything you find out might help. i’ve heard a variety of things about permits, but when i’ve tried to call i just got the runaround. and being able to do so at a local spot with good material is another challenge. i’d like to get back into collecting again, and i’m sure others here will want to as well so let us know if you have any success!

I just read this. I work in the city of Orange and am so surprised that they told you, you could dig!! I’m a firefighter there and we drove way back out in the hills of Irvine park and Blackstar canyon. There are TONS of awesome looking sage out there plus California lilac. I have not seen any CA junipers out there. I might have to follow up with the city to see if that still stands!

Did you have any luck a few years ago digging on BLM?