Yamadori Hunting - Southern CA

Im planning a trip to the Mojave soon, see who would be down to go. Found out about a couple spots that I want to check out. If you’re interested send me a message pls. Ryan - I got your text already, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A scouting trip? It’s not a good time of year for collecting right now, right?

2 Likes

according to the Randy Knight stream, he collects year round. He said he doesn’t collect in Dec, but we collected CA junipers last Dec and mine survived. It all depends where and what you collect, where you live, etc. I want to go to mountainous areas as collecting is easier. Easier to collect from rock pockets then digging into the ground. Scouting and then going back to collect is a waste of time. You go out and see what you can find and you collect it. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don’t. It’s an adventure! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend getting the California Junipers that are in any sort of dirt. We’ve had NO rain this year, and last year in November and December we had 2 to 3 times more rain than normal, which is part of why the collection went so well.

Ideally though, yes, anytime in Nov - Jan and possibly even later are perfect times for California Junipers, but the real requirement is rain.

2 Likes

Right. Ryan has talked about this on several streams. California Junipers survive the dry periods because of a deep tap root, and the surface roots that we need die off. When it rains new surface roots grow, which allows us to sever the tap root safely. So either wait for a rainy period or go out and start watering your yamadori.

1 Like

Please add me to the list if possible! Live in orange county myself and am a beginner but would love the opportunity to come along!

1 Like

Lmao I never thought about that…I live like 20 minutes from where we collected the first time. I wonder if watering them for several weeks would dramatically increase the amount of surface roots/survivability/decrease the necessary rootball size. Interesting

3 Likes

I would think so. Only one way to find out.

1 Like

I’ll have to do that along with my trenching this year. I was going to see if trenching allows me to get a smaller root ball over a year or two, because if that works out then there are some beautiful trees that are feasible to get :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey, please add me to the list. I’ve got a 4x4 and a good untouched spot for some Cali Junipers. I just have to work out the BLM permits for this spot. Thanks!

Aaron@aaronkupferman.com

1 Like

Thanks! please do. Did you have to get a special permit to collect trees?

1 Like

Let me know dates, I’d be in for that.

1 Like

If anyone need an extra helping hand please add me. I live in so cal.

1 Like

I have permission from BLM. Honestly, I’m just waiting for rain right now…it’s too dry in most places for CA junipers. But we should keep in touch here and I’ll coordinate with everyone interested.

4 Likes

If I didn’t say so earlier, i’d like to do as well. thanks!

mike viljak

3 Likes

We’ve had some rain, might be a good time to go poking around for prospects.

1 Like

yeah, i was thinking the same. if anyone with the location/access is planning to go, let’s get a group together and try to make something positive happen this year.

1 Like

Hey guys, I live in Orange and am new to Mirai and newish to bonsai in general (I got my first tree back in 2019). I just stumbled across this thread and would love to join in the next collecting trip if you guys still have a group together. I’d also love to hear any recommendations for meeting other bonsai practitioners in the area if you have any, as I have had trouble locating clubs and events since the pandemic.

• Nick
2 Likes

Hi Nick, unfortunately there was no more communication regarding collecting, at least not that i’m aware of and most likely the seasonal window is closing soon; this drizzle may be our last ‘rain’ for a while. one of our local clubs, kofu bonsai kai, is having our first meeting since the pandemic, which will be on saturday, 6/19 6pm. 1000 South State College Blvd., Anaheim. hope to see you there.

1 Like

Hi there - yea the pandemic threw a wrench in our plans. I’ve gone out once on my own, but honestly there aren’t any great places to go hunting in southern CA. I’m planning for a few road trips out of state and even going to LA next winter. If you want to collect some great yamadoris you have to go the distance cause there’s nothing around here. I also learned the hard way (almost breaking my back this last time) that the mountains is where you want to collect. I’ve made several trips around CA, but digging out of the ground is tough, especially if you want the bigger, nicer trees. Mountains are the way to go - That’s where most people go, even Randy Knight. It’s easier to dig out a tree than digging a hole in the ground!
It’s great that I had this sort of response on this thread, just wished we lived somewhere else. Lol.

1 Like