Yamadori in Montana

Hey all, looking for some advice on a beginner to yamadori. What time of year should I collect trees (Rocky Mountain Juniper, Ponderosa Pine, Subalpine Fir, etc)? What are some helpful tips on how to go about this process. Anything helps, thanks!

Check out the yamadori recovery podcast and live streams with Randy Knight

Thanks for the advice! Is that a podcast episode of Bonsai Mirai Assymetry, or a podcast named Yamadori Recovery?

Sorry my response was confusing there is a live stream under- Spring TITLED (YAMADORI AFTER CARE WITH RANDY KNIGHT)

And at least 1 podcast (see below) but I think he has been on 2-3 probably https://www.podbean.com/pu/pbblog-6y49d-4cd82b

1 Like

Great thank you so much!

No worries, I just came across the “repotting Yamadori” live stream this might be 2 years out if your just starting to collect but I am sure there are some nuggets in there as well about collecting.
Also along with Randy Knight being a solid reference, The Backcountry Boys (Steve and Dan) are another pillar I would lean on for information gathering.

1 Like

Definitely super helpful! I also really enjoyed the urban yamadori repotting video, getting to see Ryan go through the whole process. I just listened to the Backcountry Boys podcast, definitely worth learning from them since theyre in a similarly cold snowy climate

One thing that I picked up on Randy saying a bunch over time but wasn’t really ever a “main point” is “the roots need to lay flat”. Flatness of the roots in the container or recovery bed is a major factor I now consider.

Really good to know, I also got the sense that you want only a small amount of pumice between the roots and the base

1 Like

Good luck in your new yamadori venture!

PLEASE be sure you are collecting trees the best way to ensure survival and high success. Start with smaller, easier to collect trees before going for the bigger stuff to build some “scar tissue” and learn some hard lessons (that are bound to happen).

Also, acquire the appropriate permits before you start digging. It’s not uncommon for a ranger to approach and question if they see you with a bagged tree or digging on public land.

I collect throughout the year, depending on the species. This time of year before snowfall is a great time for higher elevation areas, in my opinion.