Workshop tunes - what do you listen to while you bonsai?

I listen to whatever the tree tells me! It may whisper:
Joe Bonamassa
AC-DC
Simple Minds
Stevie Ray Vaghn
Guns & Roses
The problem is it is tough to prune and dance a the same time!
Cheers…

1 Like

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Morrissey/The Smiths
Joy Division
Classical Guitar (David Russell, Johannes Moller, Berta Rojas, etc.)
Angus & Julia Stone
City & Colour
Random Podcasts

1 Like

I don’t usually. I listen to what is going on around me.

2 Likes

Steve Earle. CSN&Y. John Hiatt. Stones. David Allan Coe etc.

1 Like

I can’t listen to music while I work–with my ADD, I would probably start pruning a tree and end up with an empty stump. Freud might have something to say about that.

After so many years of bonsai malpractice, I try to channel Ryan and focus on making sound, informed decisions on front, branching, pruning, repotting, etc.

When the work is done and I wash my hands a bit, I usually pick up my ukulele and play. Reading this forum, I now have plenty of music sources to explore. :wink:

2 Likes

I love music, being a musician I feel like it’s hard to concentrate on bonsai with lots of types of music playing. So I prefer to put on podcasts, something that I can kind of ignore half the time. I find that slower tempo or softer music is alright too, maybe a little Belle & Sebastian or instrumental stuff. My brain gets pulled in too many directions if I start bumping LCD Soundsystem or something like that.

2 Likes

Nothing is more summer to me that gardening and baseball. I listen to Kansas City Royals Baseball while in the bonsai garden/workshop. The pace of the game usually pairs well with pruning or watering. All very relaxing. (until I yell at radio because of a bad play)

1 Like

I like to sing “Come Bonsai:wink:

2 Likes

I listen to Indian classical music especially when wiring and pruning. Great combination for me… music and bonsai. I listen to the podcasts when I am driving. The podcasts are just superb.

1 Like

Pandora: chillstep
Or Drake

1 Like

Birds singing in the near by trees and the coyotes yipping in the empty field across from me.
And the tree crying as I trim the branches.

3 Likes

I like to listen to Neil Ryan. :evergreen_tree: :headphones: :relaxed: :deciduous_tree:

5 Likes

I like that. Listen to bonsai former streams while working on bonsai! Nice reinforcement.

2 Likes

:eyes: @Danny, you might want to take a closer look and what I wrote :eyes:

2 Likes

the Dead , Dylan, CBC and Q&A

1 Like

Baby monitor…
The Piano Guys
Jack Jezzro
William Ackerman
Tiesto (Club Life)
Cafe del Mar
Wolfgang (band from Philippines)
Bamboo (Philippines)

2 Likes

@ThienXiang Baby monitor…I feel ya pal, I’m about to have another little one!!
But one of favorite times of day is going to water the trees with my 2 year old. He has his own watering can and loves to “give that guy some water, oh, and this guy needs some too”

2 Likes

Yep! I watered carrying the little one before. Now he waters (over waters) with me. And calls them “guy” also.

1 Like

Agree! I listen to the nature around me, the wind chimes, the birds. Not right or wrong, just prefer the solitude and quiet.

A couple of nights ago, I did a major re-style on a Black Locust while listening to Orff’s Carmina Burana. The rites of spring! Perfect for a major spring re-style!

1 Like