White spots on shimpaku foliage

Hey y’all. I’ve got these white spots showing up on a single juniper that I’m worried about. What is this and how do I treat it? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

It looks like it’s probably scale insects. A systemic insecticide like imidacloprid or acephate ought to take care of them.

4 Likes

Got it. Immediately purchased This.

Hope it works, I’m worried! Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Okay follow up question. How do you recommend actually applying this stuff? Directions on the bottle are for a much larger area than a tiny pot, measured in fluid ounces per acre

My guess would be to dilute about a tablespoon in a quart of water (15 mL per liter or so if you’re metric), and put it in a spray bottle. That should give enough for several applications. I just skimmed through the instructions on Amazon’s website, though.

There’s really not much out there marketed to and packaged for bonsai people, is there?

2 Likes

The label directions on my container say “for foliar application mix 1.5 tsp per gallon of water and apply with a pump sprayer”.

1 Like

2 of my sabina junipers had these scales, took a while to clear up. I used systemics, once gone I have not seen them reappear. I also used Dr Bronner’s soap and made a spray solution - it has peppermint oil in it which may have helped, just apply early and spray off a few hours later. Or apply at night and wash off next day when you water. Protect from direct sunlight if using oil sprays. I think the dead scales will stay on for a while unless you try to rub them away.