Whether or not to repot an Acer Palmatum 'Wolff'

I purchased this Acer Palmatum ‘Wolff’ at Lowes home center, earlier this spring, but missed repotting it in time. I’m wondering if I can do so now. I’m always unsure with timing conciderations.

2 Likes

I have slip potted new maples in nursery pots to get them started in full foliage. I use a pot that is about 2" (5 cm) larger in diameter and similar depth (or just use the bottom of the pot). I loosen the soil around the edges and on the bottom of the root ball. I mix the grower mix that came off the rootball with some 1/8 - 1/4" (3 - 6 mm) pumice and/or lava and use that to fill the gaps. I then protect it a bit from the hot sun. I find that this helps increase the vigor and helps eliminate the worst of the circling roots. I can then repot more completely in the spring.

3 Likes

So, not a good idea to repot it now, into a 12”sq x 5.5”H cedar wood pot I built? Wait until spring for that?

1 Like

James, I would fertilize it this year and repot it next spring, especially since going from a nursery can environment to a bonsai pot will probably be the most aggressive repot it’ll experience.

3 Likes

Why do you want to repot it? What is your goal?

My concern is that graft line. In the long run, the graft line is going to become more and more noticeable.

4 Likes

I’m will @BillsBayou on the issue with the graft.
When was the top of the tree cut off?
If it was this year you will need to let tree rest until next year.
The tree has a lot of development ahead of it with trunk thickening, branch development, and nebari.
I would put in the ground and let it grow, grow, grow, then air layer, then put it in the ground with a root bag to develop the nebari. Then when it looks like an overgrown bush with the trunk and branch thickening you desire you can start pruning and selecting the branches you want to keep.
Remember all these actions should be done at the appropriate times for your location over many seasons.
Good luck with your journey :+1:t2::metal:t2::evergreen_tree::grinning:

4 Likes

It’s in a garden center pot and soil. The repotting would be the first to get it started on its bonsai journey.

The top was cut off this spring. Growing it in the ground wouldn’t be an option in my current situation. As much as I would like one of those big gorgeous bonsai, I’ll have to aim for a smaller, gorgeous one. I’ll just fertilize the this year, and repot it in spring.

2 Likes