Where do you store your bonsai tools?

can you post a photo please? The video shows two different sizes.
:thinking:

Sure!

24"Wx12"Dx10"H

2 Likes

I forgot (and the system doesn’t let me edit):

The idea is to size it according to your needs.

Traditionally, they’re made in paulownia… it’s light, hard, doesn’t attract insects and regulates humidity inside the box. It will also float the contents safely in case of flood, if properly built. If you can get paulownia, go for it!

1 Like

I finally finished my tool caddy and loaded it today. It needed to look fairly good since it sits at the end of the kitchen counter beside the door to the back yard. It is 12" W x 17" L x 12.75" T + 2.75" handle (30.5 cm, 43.2 cm, 33.4 + 7 cm). The empty weight is 8.125 kg and full is 13.285 kg. (17.9 & 22.2 lb). If I were to build a new one I would use more 3/8" (9.5 mm) and 1/8" (3.2 mm) thick plywood vs. the 1/2" (12.7 mm) and 1/4" (6.4 mm) that I used to reduce weight. However, most of the time will only be moving it a few feet to the back deck where I work so the weight is not a major issue.

6 Likes

@MartyWeiser this looks like a great job. Nicely done. Clearly you need more trees to keep you busy. :laughing: :wink:

1 Like

Ralph - I have more than enough trees. I just don’t like to work on them much during the winter months. This year I am keeping my storage area just above freezing so I have done a little winter work and I think it will allow me to start repotting about a month earlier.

2 Likes

I actually upgraded to a classier tool box a couple of years ago. The new one is based on a 19th century school box
Plans: SimpleCove Guild - Popular Woodworking Magazine Schoolbox
Video of a similar build: School Box Guild Build - YouTube

I added two sliding trays to mine, they hold the tools, knives and putties. The wires go to the bottom of the box. Added bonus, it can securely transport a few beer bottles to the club meetings.

2 Likes

Really cool vid and box. I enjoy woodworking. I don’t have the time or patience to do much now, but a friend left his “real” job to make custom things full time, and I know another club member that is better than he thinks, maybe one day…thanks for sharing, an impressive and beautiful build!

2 Likes

It’s a surprisingly quick project that you don’t need to finish it in one go. You also don’t need to build it with dovetails… you could kreg it, do finger joints or do rabbet and nails.

For frequently used carbon steel tools . In the garden or workshop . Especially sharp edged tools . From day to day . Use any pail or liquid holding container . Put automotive automatic transmission oil .ATF submerge the tools sharp end down in the oil past the hinge . The oil has high detergent properties . You don’t even need to clean them after use . When you take them out . Quick wipe with a rag . They will be spotless clean sterile. And never rust . For oil don’t use the expensive newer synthetic oil . Designed for the mist modern cars . It stinks . Use cheap ATF for older cars . You can clean them more thoroughly . When you take them out but it is not necessary. Residual oil after a wipe . Will not hurt the trees . Tools stored long term in a zip lock bag with a spray of ATF is also very good . Rust protection

1 Like

I have a leather tool roll for cutters, shears, etc., and one of these for all the miscellaneous saws, chopsticks, root hooks, consumables and stuff.

58502_W3

2 Likes

This is a old carpenters tool box probably pre 1920 or 30’s nice find with some history to it

Living in the PNW, I’ve found using a dehumidifier in the area where you store your tools, will prevent 90% of your rust problems.
Just remember to empty the water reservoir on a regular basis. It fills up very fast.