Where do you store your bonsai tools?

Hello everybody,

Where do you store your bonsai tools to protect the blades of the cutters etc.?

Max

1 Like

I don’t have a huge tool set but I got a small-medium sized canvas roll to keep everything in one place. It suits my needs for now but I assume I’ll need to get something bigger as my tool collection and tree collection continues to grow.

1 Like

I also keep my nice clippers, spherical and concave cutters in a canvas roll. I keep a couple of scissors and clippers near the garage door to do some quick work when I need to.

1 Like

I use a canvas roll for the most of my tools too as you can see here:

7 Likes

Like most others I keep my cutting tools in a canvas roll. I then keep my roll and other tools, wire, tape, chopsticks, supplies, etc. all in a tool bag. Then I keep them INSIDE. Humidity is enough to create surface rust

You can find these on sale most of the time for less than $10
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=tool+bag

Tool roll as well. 14 Pocket Tool Roll

1 Like

My basic set even came in canvas roll and had some room for whatever additional pieces.

1 Like

Hello everybody, thanks a lot for your replies!

1 Like

Does anyone use anything other than a tool roll?

I have a small roll already but as my tool collection has grown, it no longer feels big enough. I’ve also been looking at other options such as a tool bag if I can find one that suits.

2 Likes

I want to get my tools up on the wall with a pegboard this winter.

But I’ll obviously still need a roll and/or bag for when I’m not working at home.

1 Like

I have a 1 gal paint can with a tool canvas pouch around the outside. Keeps EVERYTHING handy, keeps sharp tools from chips, AND keeps me from stabbing myself when moving from tree to tree. Just need to herd my carving knives, dremmel/bits and the chainsaw… (small circular chain head on a angle grinder. Crazy easy to move lots of deadwood quick; crazy dangerous…):roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I use a Veto Pro Pac. Pricey but last a lifetime with great protection.

2 Likes

I have used a "Bucket Boss, which fits nicely over a spackling bucket. Has many outside and inside pockets, as you can see. Home Depot wants $31, while Amazon sells for about $17.

18 Likes

I recently found a new home for my tools. Years ago I found this awesome handmade wooden toolbox in the garage of an old lady I knew, who is now deceased. I assume it was her husband’s, likely made by him. I love old tools and handmade things, things with a story. So, I finally realized I had a use for it. Cleaned it up a bit and added a chain to keep the lid from opening fully. Maybe not the best storage, but I think it’s perfect.

15 Likes

Oh, yes. Yes this is the best storage.

2 Likes

I just got this!! I’m so excited

1 Like

lf you store your tools outside in a studio or potting shed, the key issue is avoiding the rusting ability of water/humidity. When and if temperatures drop below freezing, rust is not far behind. During cold months, keep the tools in a heated room indoors.

1 Like

imo the rust is a pure function of humidity and not temp below freezing (to the contrary, in most climates the humidity reduces in the colder month, and the less rust susceptibility indoors results from the mostly drier microclimate inside). If you store your tools use camellia oil (or any other light oil to not start the wd40 discussion again :wink: )to lightly coat your tools.

1 Like

I use a tool roll for the ones I use most commonly, and keep the rest in a tub on a shelf in the garage. A tool bag of the right size would be pretty nice though.

I think it might be the condensation which forms due to the cold temperatures (which causes the rust). The metal gets cold at night, stays cold longer than the morning air temperature and surface gets damp. Repeat over the whole of winter and that’s the issue. Good tip about the camellia oil.

I have made a quick and dirty Japanese toolbox (but in plywood) divided in 2 levels. The bottom level stores the wire, the raphia, and possibly a decent bag of pre-mixed soil if needed. The upper level is divided in 4 trays, which store the styling tools, the repotting tools, the saws, the cleaning up tools (a superwoobie, a soft brass brush, camelia oil, sanding sponge, …)

This allows me to take a pretty complete tool kit to the club meetings, and the tool box perfectly fits in the trunk of my Miata. It was a couple hours of work, but well worth it. I may make a second one, but slightly wider so I can also store the large turn table in it.

2 Likes