What kind of conifer is this?

Hey guys, could you help me identify this one?
Also what style are you thinking?
Formal upright? Could be simple but boring?
Informal?

2 Likes

It is a Spruce, not sure of the cultivar.

3 Likes

I think it might be picea abies (Norway Spruce). It’s common in northern Europe. I have some growing in the ground in order to get bigger. I tend to do a Google image search of the species (picea abies bonsai) to get inspiration as to what sort of style it might take.

3 Likes

I think people generally go for a high alpine branch structure for these. ie the first movement of the branch from the trunk is generally down.
Though as far as how much work and when you want to be doing it, im not in the position to answer… I’ve only had one of these and killed it fairly swiftly…

2 Likes

Looks to be a dwarf variety. Maybe picea abies fritsche, which I believe is a witches broom. I have a few of these that I bought last year.
They are doing pretty well, but they tend to bud profusely in crotches and not really anywhere else. I plan to post a question about this in the next forum Q&A.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for all the help and you were all right it’s definitely a spruce. I had it checked by someone with knowledge of botanical science and apparently it is a Picea glauca conica to be exact.

Thanks for all the help guys.