Weather and the how it changes our practices

I just read this short article on the Farmers Almanacs prediction for the winter.
Do you use predictive weather to help guide how you treat your trees? How have things changed where you are?

Spring, or lack there of, in the PNW seemed odd. And, it looks like we could have an equally odd, mild and dry, fall and winter.

When do I panic? :stuck_out_tongue:

No need to panic. Our trees can normally handle the type of seasonal weather change in a long range forecast. A mild and dry fall/winter is easy to handle with a little more water than normal. Cold and snowy might require a bit more protection, but for some trees the extra snow would be plenty to handle the cold. Cold and dry is when I start to get concerned because that desiccates the trees and does not provide any insulation.

I find that the biggest issues with fall/winter are the sudden changes. Particularly the ones from nice fall weather (>50F/10C during the day and 36F/2C at night) to a fast freeze to below 20F/-7C. Then I am taking emergency measures.

1 Like

Oooh… I thought he said picnic…
.:sweat_smile:.
You live in the PNW… If you don’t like the weather, wait 10 minutes.Take a coat camping, cause it always rains / snowes in the high country.
Comes with the territory. I always prepare for the worst (winter), and am not surprised when it is easy. -20F— meeh… to 105— and 15% humility…
This last winter and this summer have been GREAT! I love the three seasons we have here…
Oh ya, Seattle is, long term, drying out. This is a good thing.
AT LEAST it’s not Louisiana…:rofl:

1 Like

Haha, going on 46 years in Seattle. A mild a dry winter just sounds crazy.

Ask 1000 random people how they would describe a Seattle winter…that phrase wouldn’t come up.

I always say welcome to the PNW where we can have 4 seasons in a day :crazy_face:

1 Like