The 8 videos you should start with in the archive

Welcome to the world of bonsai. Here are the 8 most foundational live streams in no particular order of importance.

#1 - Spring Fundamentals

#2 -Deciduous Design

#3 - Nursery Stock Series Pt. 3

#4 -Nursery Stock Series Pt. 4

#5 -Pruning Practices

#6 - Structural Wiring

#7 - Detail Wiring Pt. 1

#8 - Detail Wiring Pt. 2

Share the videos you found most helpful as you’re starting out or continuing to build your skills!

69 Likes

Smart idea with this post!

6 Likes

Soils

Shohin 101

Those two videos gave me more pertinent information than dozens of books I have read. I especially recommend the Soils video if you are on the fence about Akadama.

24 Likes

Watering, repotting, watering, watering and repotting.

5 Likes

Even though I learned how to make a chopstick during my first weekend of my first year at Mirai I really enjoyed the complete description Ryan gives in “Chopstick Creation.” This is an essential tool for successful repotting.

11 Likes

Winter care, and fall and spring fertilization and care. Very important for northern USA and Europe.

6 Likes

I have to add the structural wiring,
darn it,
each week is my new favorite!!:heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I think you have to add STRUCTURAL WIRING as no 6 now

8 Likes

Agreed! I got more from that series of streams than a decade of failed practice and a dozen books! We are lucky to have such a resource.

7 Likes

Hello im thomas Cristol trying to figure out how to use this website got any ideas

2 Likes

I have watched Spring Fundamentals several times. Its interesting to see my notes from the first viewing vs. my edited and cleaned up version from the last time watched. It’s also great to note the time in my notes when an important point is in the video. it make it easy to go back for clarification. The Post- Collection video was really useful I could go on and on.

6 Likes

Hi Kendall,
I think you should add the last 2 wiring live sessions on the MUST WATCH list

4 Likes

added :slight_smile: Definitely a good idea. Thank you!

3 Likes

#3 Nursery stock series pt.3
Best tutorial video ever. If only I’d seen this when I started this hobby; I’d be so much farther ahead and there would be a few less dead trees. Seriously, Kendall, this should be #1 on the list. Thank you Bonsai Mirai.

4 Likes

Seems appropriate to have a stream added that discusses repotting/soil! Just a thought. PS my first post! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There are more than 1 streams on these. Check out the archives.

1 Like

Yia su Stavros! I am well aware of the many streams having to do with repotting and soil… my message was aimed towards Kendal, pointing out that a list of ‘must see’ streams for beginners is not complete without a stream on repotting.

3 Likes

These eight vidios represent the holy grail for beginner bonsai students. Kendall, you absolutely nailed it in your development of this list. I’ve been searching eight months for exactly this foundational instruction. I think I’m actually beginning to understand. Thank you.

3 Likes

Just joined a yesterday, and I’m through the first 6 videos. Love the Mirai approach, and I’m excited to get to work on my trees using these principles. Thanks Kendall, for putting these together. They’re a great base to get the fundamentals down.

3 Likes