Taxus Yamadori Front sugestions/syling

Dear Mirai Community

It would be great to hear some front and styling sugestions for this tree,
I got it from an gravejard in Germany.
The only one I was able to save form beeing burnd.

Thank you very much
Have a nice day

2 Likes

Hi Philip, photo 3 is good as it shows a good root flare. My preference would be photo 6, which is almost the same as photo 1, as it gives so many design possibilities and shows a good nebari. It is going to make a stunning tree. Please keep the forum updated.

1 Like

What about the tilt of 2 but rotated a bit closer to 3? That shows the big nebari and shows off all of the deadwood. The trick will be to bring the live foliage around on the sides to serve as a frame for the deadwood. I also see that you either have or had a cat.

1 Like

#1 with a slight clockwise turn to widen the base is my choice. The deadwood is nice, but it feels too prominent in the other pictures. In the other pictures the apex feels like it’s moving away from the viewer as well. Perhaps the other angles could work if you tilt the tree towards the user.

Regardless of the decision it looks like you’re going to need some carving done on those flat cut knobs. I’d practice on lesser material or find someone can do it. That tree is too nice to use as practice.

1 Like

Hy Bonsai Bentley

Would you carve it with a foredom or by hand with plaiers rootcuters ans so on…

Thanks a lot for the feedback

That depends on what you want to achieve. If the tree is to simulate a tree in the far distance then machine carving is ok. If you want to portray a closer tree then hand carving and ripping off sections of the wood is better as more detail can be seen. Have a look at the carving by Will Baddley video. It will give you a good idea of how to create the right effect.

2 Likes

Watched it
I think i will do it the “ripping” way.
The carving Bill Baddley did was great but not fitting for the style i wont to go for.

2 Likes

Did you collect that tree? If so, great find!

1 Like

I worked for a German landcape architekt a while ago.
We did a redesign of a monestry.
As we cleand the site from everything that was growing there i found her.
I ask my superviser to be very gentle with the tree becouse i would like to have for my collection.
Unfortunatly he hated my for some reason.
I got the Tree with nerly no roots.

But it survived and it is now starting it third year of recovery.

Lol, well the joke’s on him then. Great find!

1 Like

I like picture 4 as the front. Big base. See the live vein and the deadwood curve. Lots of carving to do but it will be fun. Great tree to save.

1 Like