Siberian Elm, Ulmus Pumila Progression

This Siberian Elm was collected in 2012 as a ground layer. The first shots are from the second spring after collection. These elms are prone to die-back, and as such this one lost two major branches.

Here it is a year later after letting it grow and carving out the deadwood.

In the intervening years I have done only some branch selection and no wiring. I submitted it to Forum Q+A 21. The front should be between the next two pics.

After listening to Ryan’s advice and applying some wire I’ve created the tree you see below. The position will be adjusted at the next repot, probably 2 years. It will be time for a real container by then. Any comments/criticism or container ideas welcome.

Dan

7 Likes

I cannot see the line of the tree in the last photo. Can you take another photo? I’d like to see it from its front. Also, place wedges to adjust for your future potting angle.

Nice tree, would look good on or against a stone and planted in a round container. Green, yellow and orange hues.

Very cool, there are Siberian elms everywhere in my area, so I’m hoping to figure out how to prevent dieback on them. Have you had any branch dieback since collection?

1 Like

I finally found the time this weekend to take some better shots of my Siberian Elm. Hopefully they give a better indication of future directions. I’d love some input on the future planting angle.

First option is my interpretation of Ryan’s advice from the Forum Q&A.

The next is still in the Ryan ballpark, but is a little less upright. Perhaps it could use a little rotation counterclockwise.

And the last option is some what the opposite of Ryan’s advice, rather than enhancing the height, I’m enhancing the lean.

Here is an overhead view to give an idea of the depth of the back branches.

I’d appreciate any comments.

1 Like

Yes, I did have dieback after collection. So if you collect I’d recommend leaving more than you think is necessary and make big cut decisions after the tree has become established.

The small branches also seem to be prone to dieback, but this year I’m trying a new strategy. In stead of just letting things grow unchecked, I have been much more proactive in cutting back. When new growth starts to lignify I trim back to only a few buds. We’ll see if that helps maintain the small ramification, but I won’t know until next spring.

Since Siberian Elms are invasive in a lot of areas I say go ahead and collect, and don’t feel too bad if they don’t survive.

The third position option (with more lean) reminds me of the elm tree of Harry Harrington:

I love the lower branch and i think if you take the more lean position you can get more attention to the lower branch but i have to admit that i prefer the trunk in the two more upright positions. In my opinion you get a better focus on the beautiful curve of the trunk with the upright positions but no matter what position you choose it will become a lovely tree.

I like #1 and #3. My only concern with #3 is that the branch on the right is going to want to be its own tree. At least that’s the feeling I get. Sort of a mother/daughter feeling with the daughter taking on the leading role if that makes sense.