Shohin display shelves

I stumbled into some beautiful live edge cedar planks and am thinking about building a shohin display shelve like the ones used for a 5-point display. I am trying to determine dimensions but I wanted to use just the standard size used in traditional displays as a starting point and then adjusting as needed from there. I realize that it can vary but was wondering if there was a general range used? Maybe the kokafu has a guideline that could be used as a starting point? Any ideas?

2 Likes

I might be totally wrong on this but
I don’t think the Kokafu really accepts shohins into the show, unless they are serving the purpose of an accent to a larger tree. So i’m not sure if the Kokafu is the best place to look for photos of shohin displays. There is another show in Japan that is the the biggest show for strictly shohin, but I can’t remember what it is called.

I’ve never been but on Bill Valvanis’ blog he has shots of shohin compositions like this one from the kokufu. The three level shelf on the right is what I am thinking about trying to build but was wondering about a standard set of dimensions.

2 Likes

Oh ok word. Yea I don’t know, depends on the size of shohin you want to display I suppose.

1 Like

Gafu-ten is the name of the most important shohin exhibition in Japan.

Couldn’t find anything about stand dimensions tho.

2 Likes

If you know the height of the trees you can extrapolate the dimensions of the stand.
:nerd_face:
As a general guide the maximum height of a Shohin is around 20 cm from the rim of the pot however this is flexible as it is important that all trees in a Shohin set have similar visual weight.
The current maximum height of Shohin for the NZBA Nationa Show is 25cm from the rim of the pot.
More images of stands to get you inspired.
http://bonsainz.com/wp/shohin/

2 Likes

I have seen stands 20"x20"x6 1/2. I had 1 built 24" Tall x 24" wide X 6 1/2 Deep. It depends on the size of your trees. My tree are a little taler (maybe outside the rules of shohin). Hope this may help.

2 Likes

I had the same question years ago. So I checked out the ad section in a Japanese bonsai magazine, Kinbon. Here are the measurements for two stands:
75cm x 23cm x 70cm and 80cm x 25cm x 81cm. I can’t read Japanese but I think the first measurement is the width.
I built one using these guidelines 34"w x 7"d x 30"h.
I recently bought a professionally made one from China which is larger. 39"w x 9.5"d x 38"h.
You also try to buy a stand online and see the measurements they are offering.
They do display shohin at the Kokufu exhibition. They are in the album.

4 Likes

Trent, I replied to your post

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the help!

1 Like