Separating clump juniper

I have a root-bound procumbens juniper with multiple trunks that I’d like to separate into several trees if possible. Is there a specific tactic for accomplishing this? Or do I just cut apart the rootball during repotting?

1 Like

Photo would help. Size maters…
Nothing wrong with a multi trunk juniper bonsai…

1 Like

@JohnnyO why are you considering such an operation?

As Kurt mentioned, a photo would be helpful

1 Like

Thanks folks. Here are two images. I have half a dozen great multi-trunk pre-bonsais that I’m developing but this one in particular has a great candidate for a solo tree. Obviously don’t want to unnecessarily endanger the tree but if there are safe-ish ways to do it, I’d be interested to know.

1 Like

IMG_2770

Here is the other shot. Looking down into the trunk options. The one closest to the camera is what I’d like to separate.

I would say no, however, grab a chopstick or two and start digging for the top of the rootball. Nebary.
Maybe, though probably not…, the front limb has its own roots… seperate from the main trunk. That would be the only way for it to survive when seperated. The main trunk is probably halfway down the pot…
Losing it would not be a bad thing.
The back three trunks WOULD make a nice group!

2 Likes

You could also air/ground layer a bit above where they join and separate them when you separate the layer from the original roots.

3 Likes

Man, that’s funky. I wouldn’t separate that myself. I like the clump style. I like that it’s different from the run of the mill procumbens out there.

3 Likes

Ya, that front trunk Is pretty knarley.
After checking for roots along the burried ‘limb’…
Like Marty said. Air layer it in the spring. Will slow down the repotting… spring of 2022.
Do some minor limb cutting back now. Haircut, to control the frizz…

2 Likes

Maybe just jin all but the trunk you want to keep?

Please don’t separate this tree