Root Aphids - Shot the video today. Nematodes have been applied

Bill,

Arbico also touts the “root aphid killer” fungus (Beauveria bassiana), how did you decide to go with the nematodes over the fungus?

I have a commercial beneficials supplier locally and while they have the same nematodes they do not market them for root aphids. They recommend the fungus for control.

Has anyone else used the fungus? There are some rare occurrences of persons with comprised immune systems being infected by this fungus. That alone gives me pause, as I like repotting without gloves and don’t want to have to wear a hazmat suit to repot!

1 Like

Nematodes were mentioned in one of Ryan’s live streams.

I haven’t heard of the beneficial fungus approach to the problem. Your concerns about the fungus are understandable. Horticultural suppliers typically deal with nurseries and landscapers. Chemicals and live beneficial treatments are typically safe to use in bonsai. But one of the biggest differences is the extent to which bonsai growers expose the roots of trees. This is good in how we get to inspect and evaluate the health of our trees. And, as you pointed out, it could be bad if we’re stirring up fungal spore clouds that would normally be left in the ground or in nursery containers.

1 Like

Oy…
If you HAVE a problem with root aphids in A bonsai, you probably have worse problems with balance of oxygen and water. I would not go looking for solutions for easy problems. Choose the easy path. (Not saying torch the tree!)
I would STILL like a report from @BillsBayou on how they worked…
The nematodes should work. Probably safe. Now you have another bug in the pot. What do they eat after the aphids are gone? They probably leave the pot, or die?
The fungus should work. You probably have it in the soil wherever you live. USA EPA: “Beauveria bassiana HF23, is not toxic, infective, and/or pathogenic in rats via the oral or pulmonary routes.” Note… once innoculated, the spores will ALWAYS be in your bonsai area.
If your immune system is compromised you would know, and probably not be playing in the dirt without taking cautions.
As a funny note… I have a friend who was NOT aware they were allergic to a particular species of juniper, until after a heavy trim on a large tree. Looked like a very bad POX infection on both arms and neck…:fearful::joy:

1 Like

@BillsBayou, so how did the nematodes work in getting rid of root aphids? How did you go about checking that they have been eradicated?

2 Likes

Pull the tree out of the pot, stick my fingers in its roots, tell it to turn its head and cough.

I honestly don’t know what happened. I’ll need to check it out.

2 Likes

I STILL wanna hear em scream… (the aphids I mean.)
Great video… great choice of music…
Checked the roots yet?

1 Like

Hi @BillsBayou. Sorry to pester you about your pests, but any updates? I applied nematodes last year due to a minor infestation. My trees won’t bud out for a few more months, so won’t know my results for a bit.

Update and query: nematodes seemed to work last year, the trees that I know for certain had root aphids performed well and have healthy buds ready to pop this spring. Various conifers (spruce, fir, Doug fir, ponderosa).

I noticed a few of my conifer yamadori have very small buds, and upon further inspection they were HEAVILY infested. These were 1-2 years post-collection in grow boxes with lava and some perlite, i.e. well oxygenated. Anyone else have this issue? I have no idea how the little bastards are getting in there unless via the small amount of native soil remaining.

I’ll be treating with nematodes again this week as we’re finally warming up. I’m just shocked by the variation in infestation levels among trees.