Nematodes in Bonsai

Hi all,

Ryan has discussed briefly in Q&A V the application method of Nematodes, as done at Mirai.
Does any one have knowledge on what type of Nematodes we should use in Bonsai Cultivation and for what pathogens?
Sorry if i sound ignorant :slight_smile:
Thank you

2 Likes

Go to the Arbico Organics website. They have three different species of beneficial nematodes with descriptions of their characteristics. You can buy them in a three-pack, if you want. They’re not cheap, though.

1 Like

I wish it was that easy … I’m in the UK.
Thanks for the info - I will look into the type of Nematodes and see if i can get the same species in the UK.

I shirley hope you are discussing beneficial mycorrhizae (fungus that are endosymbionts with the tree roots). Really beneficial. And healthy.
Nematodes… Not so much for the tree.
I assume I do NOT have BAD PESTS, if any, in my bonsai soil for flatworms to attack.
Hmmmmm… Systemic bug killer…
?

I am not talking about mycorrhizae. Nematodes are used for controlling plant pests in a Biologically friendly way. They attack the pests - they do not harm the plants. A systemic pesticide would kill beneficial bacteria in the soil (with the possibility of affecting the plant in a negative way) - Nematodes do not.

2 Likes

Take a look at Viresco UK and see if it offers you anything. I use some of their products.

2 Likes

Will do, thank you for the link.

Got the same thoughts and are looking for a web shop that ships to Germany?!?!?

1 Like

@Jurgen, there are several products available in Germany i.e. from Neudorff.

1 Like

Does anyone have results from using Beneficial Nematodes? Pictures of before and after would help.

Hello Stavros,
I have just found a website that sells nematodes in uk.

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk

Albie

2 Likes

Thanks for uploading the link.

1 Like

I have used the nematodes in the link above but have bought them from gardening naturally website, a little cheaper.

I have used the nematode which kills vine weevils on a whole batch of field grown trees in grow bags and also some nursery stock that were all riddled with vine weevils. It was probably a little over kill as I had bare rooted everything and washed the roots already. Everything is doing fine.

I have also used the cutworm killing nematodes on my vegetable garden and the ant one when preparing the base for my greenhouse after disturbing a few ant nests when removing turf. All seem to have worked well.

They are a living product so have to be used within a week or two of purchase and you have to protect against cold temperatures as well for a while after application so can only be used at certain times of year.

2 Likes

Hi guys, I’m living in Czech Republic and I would like to try out these wormies. I think buying from the UK will probably cost a bit. Is the German Neudorff, the place to go?

1 Like

(Not meaning to step on any toes…)
Been reading… still see no healpfull, usefull, reason for this application. Palative? Looking for a problem? I might if I had an infestation? Each type of nematode is pretty specific to a larvae species.
I did try BT on my tomatoe horn worms once. Not impressed. Chickens and ducks decimated them, though.
BUT, then, I avoide using bug spray or antifungal much; either; mostly, except for…hhhmmmm.
Nematodes…they are used to control ants, fleas, moths, beetles, flies, weevils, and other larval pests.
Except the odd earthworm, I’ve never seen bug larvae in my BONSAI SOIL. I would notice them and recognize they need to be addressed… I DO see parasitic wasps, lady bugs, spiders, and praying mantis on the trees. (I had to look up the lady bug larvae form!)
Did read this: Chryseobacterium nematophagum – or golden death bacillus – that effectively kills a wide range of important nematodes. Interesting… I would not want to cultivate THAT in my backyard…
That being said, I have not broke out my microscope yet to REALLY see what is in MY bonsai soil. If I am using good organic techniques, AND there are any larval bugs in it, I will probably find nematodes too!
Life has a way… balance of water and oxygen.
Have a beer… wire a tree…
Oooohhhmmmm…
(More later if I find anything interesting…)

Hi Thomas,

here is a fellow Tomas from Czech Republic. Not sure, if helpful still, it has been more than four years, but I figured it could be helpful information for some other members as well.

I source my nematodes straight from the producer - https://www.biocont.cz/

They are a Czech company, so it is actually “locally sourced”. They have a wide spectrum of nematodes. Make sure to purchase in the right time frames during the year, as the availability is seasonal/fluctuates.

1 Like

Cau Tomasi!

Thanks for your response I completely forgot about this thread. Yes I have been using the Hlistice from Biocont for a few seasons now. Have you been using their products? If so, which kind?

Also where are you from? Praha? There are a couple Mirai members that I am in contact with and it seems most the community here isn’t all that interested for some reason

Ahoj,
Yea, I’m Prague based. It would be cool to meet with some other bonsai practitioners from Prague and share experience.

My “collection” is quite humble, as it is all pre bonsai work in progress, with 98% of trees in training pots or rather nursery grow pots. Nothing to brag about, at least yet. But I enjoy the work, I find it quite meditative and relaxing.

Here is a pic of my Chaenomeles I got this spring, just for fun. It lost most of its foliage during the summer due to the heat dome and sunburn. It managed to push another flush and a flower ( I read somewhere these do so every now and then but I was more afraid it would die). It is currently well in the greenhouse, jsut to be sure. I will post an update, when if it gets to bloom again

You can contact me on Whatsapp and let’s have a beer, shall we? 603533059

Cheers and see you soon!

TF

1 Like

Cau Tomasi,

I’m in Brno so it will be quite a challenge to grab that beer even though it sounds like a great idea :smiley:

My collection is also humble but we have to start somewhere just very cool that there’s another Cz who is following the Mirai way. A lot of the CBA members aren’t too fond of Ryan’s style and prefer the traditional orthodox I’d say and usually have some strong opinions about trees that I’ve consulted Ryan with. There are a few of us that are fans though :slight_smile:

Yes Chojubai are a very particular subject as they randomly flower and even grow during the winter. Ryan has a few streams on them I think :slight_smile: I don’t have one though.

If you’re ever in the Brno area, let me know! I also work closely with Bonsai Moravia in Roznov and if you ever get a chance to link up with them, I also highly recommend it.

777 907 876 or @bonsaibalconybrno instagram

Have a great day
T