Products for cleaning tools?

Hi all,

What do you use for cleaning tools? I’ve got a pair of concave cutters with a bit of rust on them and I’d like to clean that off and seal or season the cutters? What should I use?

Thanks!

2 Likes

#0000 steel wool will work to clean them. Once clean you can lightly oil them with whatever you have on hand.

Ryan

4 Likes

Thanks! Any specific kind of oil? Olive, vegetable, mineral?

I use ordinary 3 in 1 type oil t clean my tools. I use diamond sharpeners which only need water. If you put mineral oil on the blades be sure to clean it off prior to use.

3 Likes

Another option. It goes a long way… #0000 steel wool, 70 or 90% alcohol and then oil…

5 Likes

Sandflex brand sanding sponge blocks are fabulous! They’ll cut through sticky gook, rust, you name it. Will do light sharpening too. The abrasive is all through the block, not just on the surface, so they’ll last forever. There are 3 different grits. I’d suggest getting the set. Woodcraft used to carry them, but they don’t seem to anymore. Poke around online.

4 Likes

Excellent! Thank you!

1 Like

Stonelantern.com carries the sanding blocks in three sizes. They work great on tools.

2 Likes

Good! I hadn’t checked their website. Good company to deal with. If you’re ordering the sanding blocks, pick up a copy of Michael Hagedorn’s “Bonsai Heresy” and/or “Postdated” while you’re in there. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Got Bonsai Heresy a while ago. Great book! Although I think it’s a bit over my head for where I’m currently at in my practice.

2 Likes

It’s like a lot of the Mirai videos when you’re just getting started. Set it aside and come back to it a year from now and you’ll get a lot more out of it. “Outdated” is more about his time as an apprentice and is more philosophical than technical or how-to. Love that book!

2 Likes

‘Heresy’’’ had me hooked from the first page, loved it and then bought ‘Postdated’. Wise words both, I have huge respect for Michael Hagedorn.

5 Likes

For rust & grime - gentle on tools, love Niwaki.com product Crean Mate. https://www.niwaki.com/store/crean-mate/

1 Like

I agree, Crean Mate block and olive oil is all i use on my tools and they’re still perfect after years of use. I use a dropper bottle for the olive oil. If the gunk is thick I rub it on and let it soak for a few minutes, then it comes off easily.

Just a quick tip. On all my hand tools for wood working, i use jojoba oil. Its all natural basically odorless, and does a great job of trust prevention with one thin film. I’d rather not use an chemicals when cutting into trees. For rust removal you can use the steal wool, or a product called sandflex rust eraser. They re not cheap but fantastic for little rust spots, and they re compact.

2 Likes