Post-Stream Discussion : Slab Planting

Interesting! The link Kendall just supplied should work, my apologies.

1 Like
11 Likes

Thanks, Kendall’s link works.

1 Like

This composition looks even better in this video than the live stream to me. I get a better since of it than the 2D form and the static view from the stream. Not a knock on the stream by any means, just saying its more alive as the camera and the water move around it, the downward angle etc. It’s a killer slab.

1 Like

Jan Culek: This is a little off topic but his vertical rock planting pieces were shown on a mirai stream recently. Are these going to be posted for sale on the mirai store?

We will be yes! Get ready for Jan Culek overload :smile:

1 Like

Personally, I would love to learn his technique. I haven’t seen anything like it in the US. It would be terrific if Ryan could talk him in to a demo video showing how he does it. Ryan?

That looks like years of dedication. Jan Culek will be touring the US this year. He has a stop at Hidden Garden Bonsai this spring.

1 Like

what is the date? is it open to the public? :nerd_face:

Is he bringing any slabs or tall rock stands for sale on his tour?

I hate the idea of muck walls. Now with Ryan’s sphagnum wall building technique, I’m inspired to create a slab in the near future!

I know we will have some of Jan’s slabs and rock stands coming up on the webstore very soon. We’ll try to let you guys know.

Thanks. I also sent a message to Jan if you cannot supply in a timely basis.

sorry kendall. that came out wrong. I meant to say “if you cannot supply.”

I was lucky to see Jan’s rocks at Saulieu last year. The video and pics don’t tell you just how good they really are. Simply superb.

The position of the second tree didn’t bother me much - it was the size! I sat there saying “No, no, no!” under my breath, because the size difference seemed too drastic for a coherent composition.

Now it’s growing on me. Somehow, I can picture a wild tree with an offspring near it, just about that much smaller. That tells me Ryan’s choice works after all…

anyone have experience with this recipe for muck
. Got if from Michael Hagedorn.

The muck we are using now is a three part mix of sphagnum moss (not peat), akadama dust/fines, and corn starch in roughly equal parts. The corn starch is microwaved/cooked until it has a jelly-like consistency, then added to the mix. The starch holds it all together and firms up even more after a day or two.
This muck has, in my opinion, better permeability and water retention than the keto from Japan.

2 Likes

Bosky Dell Natives has some nice slabs for sale in West Linn, Oregon. They primarily use them as a yard feature with a small fountain but should work well as a slab and the price was under $150. They bring in new stock throughout the year. Nice people!

1 Like

The recipe I use is one I learned from Joe Day:
1 part peat moss
1 part sphagnum moss (the long strand type)
1 part Louisiana blue clay
Handful or two of cow manure for flavor
Mix with water until you get the consistency you like.

Rob Kempinski recommended that I try replacing both mosses with coir. I have yet to try this.

The clay exists everywhere in my area, just a few feet below the soil line. I like to let it get firm, then run it across a cheese grater to get small clay chips. When I need to make muck, the chips blend into the mosses nicely.

Instead of cow manure, I like to get “Zoo Doo” from the Audubon Zoo. It’s sourced from a variety of herbivores. Proceeds go to the zoo, so that’s nice.

Oh, and if anyone in the Southeast Louisiana area needs slabs, I carve a variety of stones. Most of what I use is Pennsylvania Bluestone. I can make custom sizes and shapes as well.

5 Likes

What make is the hose spray head that Ryan is using?

1 Like