Post-Stream Discussion : Slab Planting

Thank you, Mirai, for all you do–I have gained so much in terms of knowledge of species, technique and design. Mindblowing what is in the archives, blogs, and now this forum.

I like the idea of adding the second tree, but was there consideration of the smaller tree being placed to the rear right instead of the front (my stream froze from time to time)? I think rear placement behind the main tree would give the impression of scale and distance.

3 Likes

I think that a third tree on the left makes this have a distracting “Trident” shape.

1 Like

This is incredible- the root/rock combo almost looks like it was collected on this rock, right out of the forests

4 Likes

Nice image but for me the equal distance between the three trees is distracting. One of the two smaller trees would need to be closer to the large tree in my opinion.

This stream alone was worth the cost of an annual Mirai Live membership for me. I got so much applicable knowledge out of this one. Question: Does anyone mind mentioning their preferred sphagnum and Akadama source?

4 Likes

Yes, Troy soooo nice!

1 Like

Wow, fantastic stream… just got done watching it… And again thanks for all the background and knowledge passed on to us. I did not think the second tree would enhance the design, because the two trees are each for themselves so magnificent that they would just compete. They, however, compliment each other instead and raise awareness of each others various highlights. The new technique for slab planting and the hints and tricks to deal with obsticals that could be encountered… noted, absorbed like sponge… just hope I can manage. I will have to rethink the planing I’ve done for the slab planting I want to do. I defefinitely want to try out the sphagnum wall for my seven tree spruce forest. The trees were taken as seedlings in a single clump out of the ground about twenty years ago by a friend and have been in a container since. Hope I don’t blow it. I’ll post a before and after when I’ve done it.:ok_woman:

1 Like

Never really considered ordering sphagnum before. Most years I would go out and collect it naturally. However after watching the Live Stream I decided to give this a try, looks like the bag Ryan had, we’ll see how it works: Sphagnum Moss

2 Likes

I ordered the same bag Ricky. It’s about the size of a shoebox. The bag Ryan had was 240L not 40L. It is on Amazon as well for $120.

2 Likes

Just wow!!!
When Ryan first put on the second tree i though it was to parallel but in the finished product it goes away just a litle bit from the main tree just like it would appear in nature!
There is one tiny little thing that does not fit the lines
is the straight upward jinbranch farout down at the left because the tree would not do this in nature.

1 Like

Oh, I knew it was only 40L compared to Ryan’s 240L, I meant it looked like the same brand that Ryan had. That is all I really need, for now anyway.

Thank you I ordered the 40L bag, its not enough of a discount for me considering how much I use to order the Mirai sized bag. Ill re-order when I need some. Thanks for the tip, I have always been Akadama resistant but I think Ryan has talked me in to trying some so now I am trying to figure out which brand of Akadama to try and get.

I ordered this as well: AKADAMA But I havent tried it yet. The bag has little dust in it. I paid 39.99 free shipping. Looks like it has gone up to 44.99. I live close to a Bonsai Nursery however their akadama is rather expensive.

Super nice learning stream. In the same category as the Beech Forest creation which tops the list for me.

I love the final result. Despite my constant concern about that floating root on the bottom right of the large tree, looking at the combo now, it looks like it’s been naturally washed out by erosion! Great vision Ryan!

1 Like

I recommend buying your Akadama from Jonas Dupree at Bonsai Tonight in Alameda CA.

2 Likes

Matt,
I agree, but maybe the symmetry could be shifted a bit by planting the tree on the left at a sharper angle to the outside? Also giving the whole planting that lean to the left to add visual interest?
Leonard

1 Like

I really like this slab planting that Troy mentioned in the photo above. It really seems like the roots had a big saying on where and how to be planted in the slab. This tall tree with its thick trunk totally to the edge, (probably it didn’t have any roots extending from that side) gives a powerful impression of a cliff, as it is defying gravity and may fall any second. Really, really nice.

2 Likes

Here is link to a short video of Ryan’s post-stream watering routine for this slab planting.

Link: Post Stream Slab Planting Watering

Hi Arthur,
The link you posted goes to “Sorry we couldn’t find that page”.