Need help with dying Field Maple

I’ve had this field maple (acer campestre) for a year. It did something like this last year in August. It’s been like this for about a month. At first it was just a few leaves and the advice I got was to not worry and sometimes that happens. Now it’s spread to almost every leaf.

What could be the causes? How can I help this tree?

What is your soil and root condition? Could the roots be too wet?

I find them to be very strong and in need to repotting every 2-3 years. I grow in a fairly free draining mix so I get good water/oxygen exchange.

1 Like

Might it be a lack of magnesium?

1 Like

@MartyWeiser

Might be lack of magnesium. I only use Miracle Gro, and that does not have magnesium in it. I’ll add some magnesium to the water next watering.

The soil is not very good. I couldn’t repot because this same thing happened around august and I wasn’t sure it could take a repot this spring. It’s not pot bound though, it’s in a larger pot than when it came, but I had to just slip pot out of necessity (came with no pot).

Could it also be fertilizer burn? The use of Miricle Grow in a not that good soil could lead to salt build up. You might want to flush the soil really well when watering and switch to an organic fertilizer.

1 Like

Might be, I’ll try flushing the soil out.

Looks like sunburn. Move to shade and maintain balance of water and oxygen in roots.

1 Like

I’d go with sunburn.
I have some palmatum that do the same thing every year when temps go up.
Put it in shade or under a shade cloth maybe go easier on fertilizer.
Check the leafs in the interior, if those are ok, it’s most likely sunburn.

2 Likes

Sunburn was my first reaction.

My field maples spend several hours per day in full sun, including some which are primarily midday and afternoon sun, and I rarely see any signs of sunburn. They have a tough leaf if acclimatized and given primarily organic feed. I am a little further north (48.6 degrees) but at the transition from grasslands to pine forest at 2000 ft. so the sun can be fairly intense.