Miyajima White Pine from Forum Q&A

In case anyone is interested to see how I styled the tree from forum Q&A. (#115 minute 48)

4 Likes

The defining branch, for me, is lacking any movement (pic 2) too perpendicular to the pot.
Other than that, looking real good, nice and healthy!! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Pictures 2&3 were pre styling. Here is the latest version. That long defining branch is actually Jin now.

2 Likes

Is that black electrical tape on that branch? Don’t let Ryan see that :crazy_face:
Trees do breathe through their bark.
Not going to be good when you take it off, it will most likely ruined that beautiful bark.
Do you not have access to any raffia?

1 Like

It’s actually on top of rafia and It’s the first time I’ve used it. My local bonsai professional showed me it. I’ve also seen it used in demonstrations. I’ll let you you how it turns out when I remove the wires.

1 Like

The raffia alone when applied correctly will give you all the compression you will need.
By adding the black tape, the ability for the tree to breathe through the bark is hindered.
I have heard Ryan explain this in one the videos.

3 Likes

Here it is after the first styling this fall.

5 Likes

It’s looking great! It is developing nicely!

1 Like

I removed the raffia and black tape today. It looks healthy. After the feedback and seeing Ryan talk about it, I got worries and I read a bunch on it. It seems to be fairly common and some use it while some don’t. My take is that absolutism one way or the other is likely unwarranted.

1 Like

Final structural wiring. Only minor changes. I’ll look to begin refining and detail wiring next year.

5 Likes

Looks great, just thought I’d share my Miyajima as well. Let me know thoughts / feedback. This was its first wire and cleanup in my possession.

Before

After:

3 Likes

It’s a nice little tree. You’ve got a good start on it. I’d try to lay the branches on the upper section down a bit further. But looks great.

1 Like