Locating an Anderson Flat?

The largest pond basket I’ve been able to find is 28x28cm. Is this enough for a 2-3m tall tree? Or is there a better solution for such a large tree? I’m just starting out with bonsai, and this will be my largest tree (receiving tomorrow!) by far.

1 Like

the topic is the amount of roots you have on your tree. But why would you collect a tree that tall w/o reducing the height. How would you manage such a thing anyway later?

1 Like

A 28cmx28cm pond basket can support a large amount of tree, depending factors are your ability to water appropriately for that species in your specific climate. Size of the root mass also matters in that it has to fit in the pond basket. More that anything when using a pond basket watering has to be on point. I take advantage of an programmable irrigation system and supplement with hand watering as needed. Recently I also transitioned to using root bags bought from amazon.com. They can be cut down to whatever height and are inexpensive if you find a deal online. I bought a 20 pack of 15 gallon bags for 21.99 with free shipping.

Maples in Central Texas its 95 outside today and it was 100F yesterday, no burn on my maples. All about that water.

4 Likes

What kind of sun are those maples in?

1 Like

Full sun in morning till about 2pm then dappled sunlight from 2pm-6pm. Afterwards from 6p-8p they get full evening sun until the sun falls below the treeline. It’s about watering, I have a shishigashira, kyotohime, and a standard JM on a bench in full sun from 8a-6pm. I put them on timed irrigation which waters them every 3 hours during the heat of the day. I supplement with hand watering before and after work as well.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Wow, okay. I’m vastly underwatering my kotohime then. :confused:

1 Like

Well, I would check your the soil prior to watering. I checked mine frequently before I setting the irrigation timer. Maples like cool roots and moist soil. This is what works for me, might work for you as well.

1 Like

I have mine in part-sun, but it can get a tad dry between waterings. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that most maples don’t thrive with my style of care and that’s okay. I’m able to grow rubrum, trident, and I have a variant of a traditional acer palmatum. I’m just not able to maintain the dwarf cultivars. I think for those I’m going to need to add some organics to the mix…or just not have any lol.

2 Likes

Ah yeah pine bark chips helps a lot with moisture retention, my maples in ceramic containers are in akadama. Previously I used pine bark chips and pumice or haydite 1:1, no problems watering at all. However, the the growth was less controlled above and below the soil. Akadama makes for really nice roots! Next season I’m going to try equal parts akadama, pine bark, and pumice. Hopefully the containers hold more moisture and require less water during the day.

1 Like