Lava soil component in the UK

There was a question during the latest Q&A about Lava sourcing in the UK. I am using a product sold by Kaizen Bonsai, called Lapillo. It is of volcanic origin and it comes in 2 sizes.
I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help with the Lava substitute @stavros.

It was actually me who asked the question on the Q & A so will definitely look into getting myself some of the Lapillo to try out.

Many thanks,
-Steve

1 Like

I very happily use the lapillo from Graham as well.

2 Likes

Graham at Kaizen is a great resource for trees, and he always ensures that what he sells is in tip top condition before selling.

However I’ve had a few hit and miss with his soils, especially with the pumice (no experience of Lapillo).
I get my Lava from britishbonsai.co.uk and the quality is always perfect. Its imported from Japan AND pre sieved so youre not going to get half a back of dust. Give it a try if you insist on lava.

1 Like

A knife used in the right way can save lives (surgical scalpel) - in the wrong hands , it can take a life (killer).
Same with all the different substrates and soil components.
I am not affiliated to Graham(Kaizen) in any way but a personal mishap/failure does not mean that a material is not good…

1 Like

Interesting reply … I just didnt use the soil in the end, so no trees were harmed in the making of this text, but thank you for your concerns on my personal mishap / failure, lucky I avoided it on this occassion.

Back to Steve’s question, If he wanted to source lava in the UK, and I know there are not many bonsai sellers not even on eBay that do sell it, I thought I would point him to where does sell it.

1 Like

Apologies if my reply to your comment did not sound right. This was not the intention.

2 Likes

all good my friend xxx

1 Like

What was the problem with the pumice?

1 Like

Was probably my luck that it was not a good bag, very powdery, like 1/5 was crushed pumice dust. I know he sources his from Portugal (so I’m told) and compared to the japanese import stuff I have used before (albeit more expensive) was not as strong.

Like I said I have a lot of time for Graham and his efforts. I probably had bad luck with that bag but decided since I’ll use japanese import stuff only. The Akadama (double red) I got from him was at a great price and high standard, as you’d expect from the brand.

Sorry this is off topic!

1 Like

Was worth knowing thank you. I sieve and check mine and have not had an issue but as you say may just be a batch.

2 Likes