Laurel Oak Care

Back in mid-summer of 2021, I picked up this laurel oak. I know that they are native to the southern US, so I have been mindful of not exposing it to temps below 35. The tree’s root system has totally taken over the training pot. In fact, it keeps wanting to slide out of the plastic container if I don’t keep it totally level when moving in and out of the garage (like an omelet in a non-stick pan). So, it needs to be repotted. Two hopefully quick questions, for anyone with experience with laurel oak: (1) which soil composition has been most successful (I was planning on using a boon mix), and (2) when have you experienced the greatest success with repotting (freezing temps are not a problem as I have a garage with several windows facing east and south)? Any other pieces of advice would be appreciated, since there does not seem to be a lot of existing information on laurel oak care as bonsai. Oh, also, I’m in Zone 5b (Denver CO). Thanks in advance for the advice!

IMG_2019

1 Like

I believe that Ryan suggests potting oaks in 100% akadama. I am in a similar climate to you (Spokane, WA) and have been potting my deciduous trees in 3-1-1. I would also repot just as the buds swell. That is the approach I am taking with some coast live oak that are still in early development.

1 Like