Killer Crataegus

This is not my tree, it’s Simon’s (can’t remember his last name). I wanted to share it because I think it is the best Hawthorn I have seen.

10 Likes

Wow! Thanks for sharing, it us indeed stunning. I love that ‘rocky mountain’ trunk of this bonsai the most :+1:t4:

Thanks @CoffeeCherry,
Thats deadwood

1 Like

It is Simon temblett. And it is a Dan Barton pot.

Good also in its winter image.

1 Like

Could be. Definitely DB pot

Shame that pot doesn’t have a glaze on it. It would be a perfect match otherwise.

@Joe_Perry I actually love the fact it doesn’t have any glaze - having a feeling that makes the tree shining rather than the pot (which is beautiful btw!) At the same time I’m intrigued to know what you can see if it would have been glazed? Just to open my mind for beauty wider :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes Robin, you are completely right. I didn’t realise I had seen the same tree in Swindon this Feb! (Even took a pic of it then). You can really see the angular bends in its winter image.

I think the play between the lip of the pot and the bark and deadwood was too good to not go with this pot. Classically, your right. Glaze for a deciduous, but the tree was from N. Wales and not Japan.

2 Likes

I should be clear that this is much better than the little twin-trunk Washington Hawthorn I am working with! It’s a great tree and a great pot, and while I adore the rusticity of the pot and the jagged feature, the right glaze might introduce some contrast. A nakawatari shirocochi glaze with patina would bring out the whites but keep it austere for winter silhouette. Actually, if I were playing with something this beautiful and didn’t want to do the cream that everyone else was doing, I might try to find a brown namako glaze and see what happens!

I’m sure there are contemporary European potters who are working with these palettes. What you lose in patina with a modern potter you might gain in features like the broken lip in this current container. I’m not sure who is doing what with European ceramics. I haven’t explored much other than to put Tom Benda near the very top of my “to buy” list for the future.

Best,
Joe

At ExpoBonsai UK this year the tree took best tree/pot combination and rightly so. In the flesh it is a mix that really works. We have some cracking hawthorn in the UK but this one is so unique.

3 Likes

Hi @Joe_Perry
I believe Simon had a second glazed pot, also by Dan Barton, which was custom made for the tree.
I hear what you are saying, but sometimes the unorthodox combination of tree and pot makes for a unique display which although it may jar, will stand out from the rest. Break rules, not pots :grinning:

1 Like

Simon Temblett for sure. I know the tree and the guy.

2 Likes

Wow…!
I LIKE that pot with it.
Does it have red or white flowers?
My little Hawthorne forest is pathetic…

I would assume the flowers are white. I believe it was collected in north Wales.