Keep fertilizers safe from dogs

Hi,

I have an issue, where my dogs like to nibble (and then throw up) on my biogold.
Does anyone know any techniques to keep the fertilizer untouched? Or can you recommmend something they won’t want to eat?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I keep everything high enough so they can’t get to it. Otherwise I am thinking of switching to a liquid organic fertilizer as per one of the recent podcasts with Andrew Robson.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back. Well I thought my benches were high enough, but apparently my Vizsla thought otherwise.

Also this is new behaviour from him, only since I switched to Biogold - apparently this smells very “tasty”. Till now I used a powdered bat guano…I think I might get back to that.

1 Like

I keep undesirable critters away with hot sauce purchased at the dollar tree. Squirrels, rabbits, mice and ground squirrels, and larger canines or cats will not mess with the soil, fertilizer or foliage when sprayed with diluted hot sauce. WEAR PROTECTION like goggles or face mask with eye shield to protect yourself. :persevere:

Thanks bob. Will try hot sauce.
I tried some carolina reapers to prevent digging, and it didn’t work… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I use cottonseed meal and fish emulsion. The cottonseed meal is pretty mild and does not have much of any smell. The fish emulsion gets watered in so there is nothing left on the surface to eat off. I would test this with your dogs though. The fish smell could cause them to dig into the soil.

Ryan

1 Like

That is a question I get a lot. I really do not know a good answer besides correcting the behavior by disiplin, or a fenced in area for the trees.

1 Like

My dog has a taste for pumice now too :expressionless:

I need to build some more benches.

1 Like

should get rid of that nasty tartar!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I usually add some RepelsAll to the fertilizer bag to keep the squirrels away (which worked), so that may help. Although, when I sprinkle it on the ground, my dog tries licking it up. Maybe your dogs are smarter than mine?

1 Like