Kanuma supplier?

Are there different qualities of Kanuma like there are akadama? Who is a good supplier?

Just like Akadama, they are different qualities of Kanuma.
Being that it shipped from its origin in Japan, it will break down and there will be sifting to be done.
Depending on how much moisture is in the material before it is bagged will affect its ability to hold its structure during its long journey.
Like Akadama, when wet, it will break down very easy. So it is very important that these two materials are dry before chopsticking. With that I should mention that Kanuma is very soft even when dry, so quality is very important.
Maybe @Sam @ryan @CARDOZA can tell you which brand Mirai uses, I’m sure it will be top quality and then you can find a supplier online to order.

1 Like

Well, maybe there’s not much in use in our community here. I am going to try some from Bonsai Tonight, it doesn’t say what brand it is though…
The “local” bonsai shop doesn’t carry it at all.

Kanuma has more acidity than Akadama. There are only few trees that like acidic soil. One is azaleas

Yes, I am looking to repot azaleas, and dwarf rhodies. I ended up buying some on ebay. It seems a little soft, we’ll see how it goes.

It’s a softer clay than akadama and that is to be expected. That’s partially the reason why it’s used for azalea bonsai. The other 2 reasons are the acidity and the moisture retention/exchange.

I’m going to need some as well for my azalea. Worse case scenario I go with akadama and use some acidic supplement.

I bought this:

on ebay, but next time I’ll try clarkmlong

The price is good, but the shipping is what always what kills me when purchasing.

@Bonsai_Bentley I’ve seen people in Japan amend their akadama with medium length sphagnum moss, for acidification.

1 Like

I bought some kanuma from a supplier at a bonsai expo this weekend. They have free shipping on orders over $70. I’ll update this post with their info when I get home.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks, I would appreciate that!

Sorry @ndavila80, I looked up the name yesterday and then immediately forgot it lol. Anyway, here’s their website. https://www.superflybonsai.com/

1 Like

Did you meet my guy Bob?

Um, idk. I spoke to a couple of dudes that were manning their stall.

1 Like