Hi, I have a JBP that I would like to improve, but currently not sure how to proceed.
Few issues I have with this tree;
- The tree isn’t super strong and hasn’t got a huge amount of needle mass since I cut the post hardened needles back last year. It is showing signs of back budding on quite a few branches and most branch tips have 2-3 buds.
- As its a JBP, I don’t think the needles are going to get that much smaller and wonder if the trunk needs to become thicker to be more proportional with the eventual needle size.
What I like about the tree;
- Bark is aged, its quite an old tree.
- There is a reasonably ok nebari under the soil which could be exposed.
Im not sure if I should;
- start fertilising more and not prune for a while to improve the health of the tree.
- potentially repot into a crate or maybe even in the ground to try and increase the trunk thickness and taper.
- Potentially re style the tree completely to work with the not so thick trunk, maybe a more feminine design.
Any advice on how I can take this tree to the next level?