Japanese Mapke Nishiki gawa

Stumbled across this pine bark maple 2 days ago. It’s in a 15 gallon pot, don’t see any graft union, might be grown from seed. I forgot to ask the nursery lady. There’s another one with a slightly thicker trunk base and shorter in height. Which is now in my backyard :grin:
Check out the bark on the trunk!

Anyway, does anyone know if these back bud even from the thick bark?

Thank you.

2 Likes

It probably is like every other maple, if you prune hard, it will send new shoots out everywhere. I do have a lot of experience with boxelders, which is also a maple. It gets bark twice as thick as you have there and when hard pruned it will send shoots from 2-3 inches from the bottom on the oldest part of the tree. More than likely very safe here. Cut away.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you! I will likely plant this in a wooden box for a while first. I might do it this weekend and keep it in the backyard with morning sun.

I have had back budding on one. Not a lot compared to other maples but it allowed me to put a branch where I wanted one. I have used a number of thread grafts on them as well to create lower branches.

1 Like

Nice. Thank you @Blown55.

As an alternative you could air layer the top and larger limbs off as potential trees and allow the the original tree to recover and give you more trees down the road.

1 Like

That’s what I am planning to do. @KevinNGa. Thanks! This maple and my pear tree.

Corkbark Japanese maples are not known to be prolific back-budders, especially from the thick corky bark areas. Of course the younger it is the better the chances for back budding.

1 Like

That’s what I though but wasn’t sure. I have a very old dogwood with thick bark in the landscape I cut down to a stump due to infestation. It back budded a year later.