Help! My pines are covered in ANTS!

ANTS! So many ants! I’ve washed them off 6 times now and they keep coming back. The picture doesn’t do it justice. It’s like my bark is moving! It’s wild. I’ve never seen this before and don’t know if they’re harming my trees. I have 5 black pines here with a few cypress and juniper and they’re only on the pine. Anybody have any experience or knowledge?? I just want to know if they’re hurting the trees and if so how I keep them from coming back.

1 Like

Check your trees (and treat if necessary) for aphids. Ants will herd aphids and feed off of their excretions.

2 Likes

Are they nesting in the pot? I have had ants nesting in a Sylvestres this year. I think they like the larger particles of soil mix. I placed the whole pot on a bucket of water for an hour, with the rim of the pot touching the bucket, so they could escape.

following other’s aphids are probably the issue. I had this issue with a larch last year and I used Malathion with great success. It will kill both ants and aphids.

It's crazy! I've used water, DE, soap, a brush and even my fingers and they keep coming back. In the 12 years I've been practising bonsai seriously I've never experienced a problem like this. In the research I've done the last few days I've been able to deduce that I definitely have a problem with aphids. As thats really the only reason I'd have the amount of ants I'm currently battling. Strange though, considering I pay very close attention to the care I provuse my trees, as well as the abundance of pest repelant plants growing around my trees.
  I really appreciate the replies. You've all been very helpful. Today I'll be treating the aphids with chemical. As I've tried and exhausted all other options. I'll also be taking steps to rid my pots and soil of any ants that might have been building nests in the coarse soil I have my pines cultivated in. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to reply with advice or personí experience. so wish me luck! I'm going into battle today and will not pack it in until I'm confident I've accomplished what I set out to tackle today. Thanks again for the insight, I always appreciate people taking the time to open my posts and leave comments or replies. It's always very helpful444
It's crazy! I've used water, DE, soap, a brush and even my fingers and they keep coming back. In the 12 years I've been practising bonsai seriously I've never experienced a problem like this. In the research I've done the last few days I've been able to deduce that I definitely have a problem with aphids. As thats really the only reason I'd have the amount of ants I'm currently battling. Strange though, considering I pay very close attention to the care I provide my trees, as well as the abundance of pest repelant plants growing around my trees.
  I really appreciate the replies. You've all been very helpful. Today I'll be treating the aphids with chemical. As I've tried and exhausted all other options. I'll also be taking steps to rid my pots and soil of any ants that might have been building nests in the coarse soil I have my pines cultivated in. Thanks again for taking the time to leave some insight or your personal experiences. I always appreciate it!

Blockquote. Hey Rafi, did you find that pitch pine you were looking for? I came across a pitch at a local nursery.

1 Like

I’ve always used this for ants. I’ve used it in my yard and gardens without any issue, and it gets rid of ants quickly.

I’ve never tried it on my bonsai, but I’ve used it to get rid of huge colonies with 1 or 2 treatments.