Gymnosporangium fungus

UK based, I’ve just found my first case of gymnosporangium on a juniper. I had a few leaves on a hawthorn last year which I quickly removed and then sprayed the tree but obviously it’s here, though in a minor amount at present. Investigation shows it to be present in the wild in my area and so airborne spores are the probable cause as both trees have been with me for some years.
I’ve removed the orange growths and am spraying but my question is has anybody been able to eradicate this completely and if so what with? Not all chemicals are available to us in the UK but we can get Mancozeb.(Thanks to a mate’s guidance)

1 Like

No experience with it myself but came across this blog post last week, which implies you can’t remove it chemically.

1 Like

Thank you Gwen, I saw that a few days ago and it’s pretty terrifying. I would say mine is it the scary stage rather than terrifying at present. I cut out the two branches that had ‘horns’, 3 horns in total. That one is a chill reminder of what could be and so I hope it doesn’t come to that as I have a number of juniper with a lot of work in them.

1 Like

Whoa! Love the link!

1 Like

I have also got this. I go out after it rains and cut off areas with gelatinous growths on them. It’s an interesting lesson in not becoming attached to a set design.

Andy I inspect my trees a number of times in a day and cut those off as soon as they appeared. You obviously do similar but have you found that once a tree has it there is no cure, even with the cutting?

The above blog post… THATS WAY HARSH…
Now I have to find a cure…
:zipper_mouth_face::thinking:

It appears to be a big problem on mainland Europe Kurt, slightly less so here but scary enough. A few friends have it.

It sounds like no.

Even if people are cutting off the orange growths, the tree may already be inoculated. You run the risk if your other trees being affected, and any trees others bring into your garden.

I would think this suggests the responsible thing to do would be to destroy affected trees.

HMMMM…
Google it…
It’s endemic in the American N. E. Life cycles between apples and junipers. It’s everwhere…
Ever wonder where the American chestnut trees went?

Oh I’ve done plenty of Googling. Was looking for personal experiences on bonsai specifically.