Grape Vine Bonsai

Looking for ideas and inspiration… A little history on this specimen, it’s a 30 year old vine that was growing in the yard of the house where my wife grew up. Last year my mother-in-law wanted to remove the vine and dug it up. It was growing along a chain-link fence in the yard where she wanted to plant a cedar elm. I rescued it (barely) by placing it in a large plastic container filled with a composite of mulch and pumice/lava/haydite. It grew it for a year in the container work only a single shoot . It back budded and the following year (this year, 2018) I let it grow. I just cut back and removed what I felt were unnecessary branches. However, I’m not sure what I want to do with this material. Feel free to give constructive criticism. There is a glass of wine and my faithful sidekicks for scale

10 Likes

Its interesting that you got the companion (animals) to follow the plant’s lean/attitude…:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

If nothing else, you’ve got a great pot for it :laughing:

3 Likes

Great natural material and possibilities. Hairy friends need no improvement as obviously perfect already:wink:! As for ideas would need to study in person and wait for inspiration. (not to mention all I know about grapes is prune after danger of freezing past and not too late or will bleed profusely). I found that impossible with the ones I had at a place I once owned:crazy_face:.

1 Like

The recent Portland gathering had a workshop with grapevine bonsai. Dont recall who led it. My bonsai buddy / neighbor took the workshop and has one.
Not bad, way smaller than yours. NOW I want one…
As if I need another bonsai…:joy:

1 Like

I thought the wine barrel was a suitable choice as well!

1 Like

I always tell myself, “I don’t need anymore bonsai.” Yet I still somehow manage to find more room on my benches.

1 Like

If not, build another bench!

2 Likes

Na. Make MORE room… I dissasembled a 30 year old 12x12 foot redwood porch…2x6" boards…
Got LOTSA bench material handy… My bonsai area WAS five 8 ft benches–12x12 foot rock paved , then 14x14, now it’s headed 25 feet for the neighbors fence… I only have an acre… I’m NOT the crazy one in our club…
Oh ya, grapevine bonsai…

1 Like

Hahaha sounds very familiar

Just quick update on the grape vine, smaller mica pot without a change in orientation. I must say these plants grow roots like crazy… This vine/plant is 30+ yeara old. I repotted in February and was amazed… It was it was almost root bound! I squeezed it in the mica pot… Using root lasagna… I’m not even a tier 3 or whatever it is now… “Pro” perhaps. I’m thinking semi cascade in future repots maybe 2 years… Probably sooner given how much root growth it put on despite all the trauma its received.

6 Likes

I just have to say…these dogs are adorable. Beautiful tree too!

1 Like

Thanks Sam, my furbabies though definitely adordable are my “bonsai police.” They have profound influence on the futures of all the trees in my garden. They ultimately decide the health, shape, & longevity of the specimens in the garden. They fend off furry scavengers, winged assailants, creepy crawlers, slithery vermin, and slimy yuckies without hesitation. They may ,however, with frequency… trample, restyle, repot, denude, carve, expose, “you name it,” at their discretion. I could not do it without them! Cheers and Happy Bonsai to you!

3 Likes

Quick update, filled out great. Recently pruned, and even fruiting. 30+ year old vine.

8 Likes

Update… Doing well… This is after I nearly lost it due to a lack of water for 48 hours. A water main broke while I was covering a stretch in a downtown ER and. I came home to find that it ha dropped all it’s leaves. Kept watchful eye and watered by hand daily for 4 weeks. I trimmed 2 days ago… Going to put in a proper pot next spring and slightly change the front.

2 Likes

Fall update with progression. It was repotted late summer and grew well. Leaves started falling this week so I trimmed back shoots today and took a pic. I let the remainder of the leaves fall off on their own. Still working on the changing the front slightly, have some heavy roots that need to be reduced under the soil line. Taking place one repotting at a time.

6 Likes

Hi, Absolute stunner of a vine. Luv the dogs to, :wink:. what are you using as soil, pure acadama or a mix?

1 Like

Initially, the tree was in expanded shale with pine bark chips all stiffed to be between 1/8"-1\4". It was then transitioned to my normal mix which is equal parts lava, pumice, haydite, turface, (1:1:1:1 +10% zeolite). Still the particle size is the same. With this mix I water more frequently to keep tree hydrated. Spring 1×, Summer 3-4×, Fall 2×, Winter 2-3× per week. I use a timed irrigation set-up.

I would use akadama if I could source it at more reasonable cost. I love it, I just don’t buy it. Sorry for the late reply. I just renewed my Mirai subscription for the year.

4 Likes

Amazing trunk!
I’ve always dreams of going to the vineyards out on Long Island and seeing if they would
sell a specimen of such a trunk girth.
I’m trying something crazy with my grape vine, with a trunk 1.5’’ thick and about 2’ tall
I am going to attempt a literati style, with a few branches flowing down til a fruit section forms
and then cutting back to the top?

1 Like

First cut back of the year, cant wait for it to fill back in!