Feeding at Spring

Hi,

Another interesting fact I’ve never heard before was the feeding to the elongating species…

When I started bonsai everybody told me that when the tree is mature, you have to feed it when the foliage is mature. Ryan says that elongating species have to be feed before they open, I have been doing it wrong during more than 10 years :sweat_smile:

He said they need to be fed before the buds open? Are you sure? Can you point me to the stream or Q&A where he says this? I seem to recall him saying that elongating species can be fed very very lightly after buds open and are elongating, or, especially for a tree in refinement you can even hold off on feeding completely until the first flush of growth has hardened. But don’t recall him ever saying you need to feed before bud push…

1 Like

I don’t remember, this is more logical. Maybe I misunderstood it, I’m from Barcelona and my English…:sweat_smile:. But I’ll search the video where he explains the feeding. Thank you Mike!

1 Like

Yea for sure! I can’t even imagine trying to learn Bonsai in Spanish! :joy:

1 Like

The first time I saw him explaining I knew I would learn a lot. The problem would be my rusty English but…:muscle::muscle::muscle: Lucky you help me with this topics!

Yes @Mike_Hennigan, Spanish is quite difficult :grimacing:

1 Like

Yea, of course. It sounds to me like you are doing things correctly with feeding and pinching your trees in refinement. So keep up the good work! I think if you just keep in mind that Ryan says to do different thing things if the tree is in development vs. refinement, you should be good!

1 Like

Thank you again @Mike_Hennigan I enjoy a lot with his videos!

1 Like

Yeah, Mike, I agree. What I remember Ryan saying about feeding is that you can feed a tree in development once you see some activity beginning in Spring. And he has said several times that, depending on how refined the tree is, you may want to hold off on feeding until the growth hardens off. A lot of it is species dependent, too.

2 Likes