Examples of dynamic tension design?

In the design fundamentals stream Ryan defines the three styles based on the relative direction of movement of the trunk (T), defining branch (D) and Apex (A). Using L for left and R for right:
Harmonious: all three go in the same direction (LLL or RRR).
Tension: Trunk movement opposite that of defining branch and Apex (LRR or RLL).
Dynamic: Apex and defining branch have opposite movements. But in the stream Ryan only discusses the case where trunk and defining branch are harmonious (LLR or RRL).

Another way to make a dynamic design would be to have the defining branch in tension with the trunk and apex (LRL or RLR) with the latter two in harmony between themselves. In the chat I suggested that would be ‘Reverse dynamic’ design but I think it is better to call it ‘Dynamic Tension’.

I wonder if dynamic tension is something really hard to create because the defining branch would either move away from the trunk and apex and feel disconnected from the whole design or alternatively, it would clash with the trunk.

Are there any examples of dynamic tension design?

2 Likes

Todd Schlafer just posted a picture on his instagram which I think follows the dynamic tension you are describing.

Trunk R
Defining Branch L
Apex R

3 Likes

yes, he mentioned that one. This also makes me think about the possibility of having tension between apices in a multiple apex design like this.

1 Like

I didn’t get a chance to watch it live, so I’ll have to catch it in the archive :slight_smile:

Anywhere, here’s another from Todd

2 Likes