Does Insecticide affect the microbiom of the soil?

I started having a fungus gnat problem after applying top dressing to my Brazilian Raintree so I wanted to know would spraying insecticide on the soil Specifically bio advanced 3-in-1 insect, disease, & mite control have a negative affect on the microbiom or slow the process of moss growing?

I to had the same issue with gnats.
Insecticide s usually contain some neurotoxin so in theory it should leave the biome alone, yet again I wouldn’t spray directly on the soil and you’ll only kill the ones that are flying around.
Spraying could mess up the tree badly.
Gnats use the top part of the soil and like it when it’s wet.
Try keeping it a bit dryer.
The best way to get rid of them is to disrupt their lifecycle which is around 7-10 days.
You could try sticky traps and a portable bug zapper like these.Amazon.com : cordless bug zapper
That did the trick for me.
They sometimes return but this keeps them from overpopulation.
You could also try nematodes if you can get your hands on them. Something like this
Beneficial Nematodes Fungus Gnat Exterimnator SF (10 Million) | eBay

1 Like

Basically, yes; to some degree (not the moss though…) Bonsai-ing is never simple…
scientific study link…

However, if you want the gnats gone… I would choose JUST an insectiside. Specifically a gnatacide labeled product. Maybe a neem product (although this WILL take longer; it is not instantanious like insectacides…). Or, the little sticky gnat traps (relatively fulfilling, however, keep your spouse away from them. They are hell to get off slippers.).
The gnats are using the top dressing as a egg incubator and larvae food. Next comes the spiders and webs; to dine on the gnats…
I choose to ignore the whole thing and live with it. I particularly enjoy the diversity of spiders! Live and let live!
I, as a biochemist and longtime bonsaist , don’t think a Brazillian Raintree bonsai will suffer greatly from a collaps of a under developed or nonexistsnt microbiom… Not like a pine would. I think it wont hurt the tree in the longterm. You can re-innoculate with Dr. Earth…
I think Bayer 3 in 1 is a good product. I would be more inclined to ask if the 3 in 1 product is labeled as ‘OK’ on a B R, or will it kill my tree… Research . Might call them and ask , species specific? (One note-- the ingredient- imidocloprid is a systemic, and will kill bees. Hope the tree is not flowering!)
None of it should hurt the moss.
FYI, I grow pots of just moss for over planting of small plugs into the topdressing. Speeds up the growth process immensly and cuts down on the gnats!
Simple question. Bonsai should be kept simple.
However, when something consistantly irritates (bugs…) me…
…my bottom line is…Nuk em!
Your choice!
Hope this helps!
On a similar note… I found a 4" slug on my bonsai bench tonight… Game is ON!
Bonsai On!

1 Like

Thank you both and found out the hard way yes the BRT will survive the 3- in-1 but it distorts the new foliage a little when sprayed directly on emerging shoots

1 Like