BRT- How to manage a resurrected stump

So two years ago, we in North Texas (Zone 8) had a February deep freeze. I was able to save most of my conifers and temperate deciduous trees, but I lost a good number of my tropicals. This BRT froze back to the ground, and I thought I had lost it for sure , but by the end of May the following year, it began to put out leaves and new shoots from the base. Some of these have grown quickly into some skinny trunks. I have taped some of them together in an effort to get them to fuse. I wound several of the whips around a dead trunk just to see what might happen. I now need to make some decisions about what to do-- (1) air layer off the more substantial trunks and sacrifice the stump (2) try to utilize the stump as the trunk of a triple trunk tree (3) sacrifice all but one of the trunks, leaving it attached to the stump or (4) just continue to use the stump as parent for multiple air layers or ???. What do you all think?

Uploading: IMG_0905.HEIC…

1 Like

i think option 4 but if you air layer slightly up the trunks the stump may get bigger over time

1 Like