Branch placement on a collected larch

I finally got to the structural wiring on a tall collected larch .
What bugs me is the lower branch on the left . Does it stay ,
jin or try and compress it in ?

3 Likes

I think the lowest branch is a great length and size to be a good directional branch.

2 Likes

I agree with @nmhansen. I think you open a can of worms removing the lowest branch, as the apex and branching will then be moving in opposite directions. Do you have a good idea of how you would bring the design back into harmony if removing the first branch?

2 Likes

It’s such a tall tree I think I want to keep it . I can compress it a bit by taking out the center branch of the three forks it’s composed of .

1 Like

I agree, you probably want to keep it, at least for now.

I would suggest that as it’s a tall slender tree it would be a good idea to keep the silhouette narrow. You can accomplish that by dropping all the branches down at a much sharper angle than they are at currently, keeping in mind that they all should have about the same angle of drop.

3 Likes

Could the lower branch be bothering you because you haven’t put any movement into it? it seems to stick straight out from the trunk direct to the secondary branches. Just a thought.

5 Likes

Had exactly same on my mind as @Keith-in-UK! Something that bothered me looking at it.
Also agree not removing it for reasons above with additional note that this would make the trunk just way to long and disproportionate to part with canopy.

1 Like

@ Roger_Snipes I recall seeing a video where Ryan wired branches of a young larch down to almost vertical beside the trunk but I have never been able to find that video again.

@ Dblvisn A very graceful design! Do you have bar branches in the upper part of the tree? Are you planning to develop some of the in-out movement that Ryan discusses in more mature foliage profiles?

That’s definitely part of it . It’s a bit thicker than the rest and I’m out of heavy gauge copper . I’m going to put a little movement in it and re post a pic . Thanks for the input !

1 Like