Bonsai Work Station

Curious what everyone’s workstation looks like. I currently have a plastic fold out table with all kinds of stuff laid out. Thinking about what a bench should look like and what would be helpful to add to it if I decide to build one. Any pictures of what you have would be great!

1 Like

Mine is created from a couple of pallets and some old bed legs. It has a lower shelf and an upper layer for working on. I don’t like to sit while doing bonsai so it’s at my ideal height for most of my trees. The larger ones I use a wooden fold away picnic table (or the floor).

1 Like

I use the Wire Caddy Stand that I posted in a thread of that name for smaller trees. For larger ones I use a flat turntable set on one or two plastic milk crates since I like to work with my hands between waist and shoulder height.

1 Like

I have made a turntable and stool combo and use a recycled salt well when working in the driveway on larger trees.

The stand has hooks below to strap down pots when blocked, and also are handy to hang wire when doing structural and secondary wiring.
I also have folding table if I need space to have supplies when repotting or making surface treatment and sifting soil components.

3 Likes

That’s a really clever idea @Bonsai_bob. Might have a go at making one myself. Like you say bonsai turntables are a tad expensive.

1 Like

I use the portable table top turn table at workshops and on top of the plastic salt well. Also handy on folding table. The surface is a skid proof epoxy boat deck paint.
:thinking:

Old hairdressers chairs are a good source for a worktable base.

2 Likes

This is what I did. Bought one used from someone locally and swapped the seat out for a table top round that I purchased from Lowe’s. I use a folding table when I need more surface area.

1 Like

same as you @jjenk321 I am brainstorming on turntable, without buying (even if tempting) a super-pro one that we see at exhibitions.
I like vintage and industrial stuff and bough a workbench from a garage/car shop, however not ideal in term of height.
The I came to this video by Peter Chan who is up cycling office chairs into turn-tables. and will give a try with chairs from my office: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8xH2hT8W4

1 Like

I found a couple of hair salon chairs on facebook marketplace for 50-75 bucks very tempted to try buying one of those and removing the chair and mounting a 3/4" plywood or something solid to the top and seeing how that works.
I see the value in the wheeled chair but also, how would you stop it from rolling away when you dont want it to?

1 Like

the advantage of the hairdresser version is that the pump can actively raise the height. Office chairs not so much.
For the tops the maritime/outdoor ply wood (the one with the one side non slip screen printed surface) is quite useful.

2 Likes

Here’s mine. I painted the wood with fence paint and then two coats of poly. I’m going to add eye hooks to the bottom that I can then hook wire to as needed since I don’t currently have a wire rack.

Mid process. Since the platform was slanted I had to build it up a bit and shim the top.

3 Likes

That looks great. Exactly what I was thinking! thanks for the ideas!

1 Like

Here’s a shot of my work space. the hydraulic lift cart helps when I’m moving a large tree and don’t want to risk walking up a ramp or up three steps.

4 Likes