Spoiler alert: this is gonna be a bit of a novel lol.
I bought some new trees this weekend from my favorite nursery of ill-repute. I grabbed a little leafed bottle brush, what I was told was an Ein Shemer apple (I’m sure it’s not that nor is it an apple tree. Looks like an Amur maple), and a Taxus I had passed up last year. Well, I’ve yet to see another taxus in my area, so I made my way back and luckily it was still there.
Worked the bottle brush. It’ll be a cool little shohin. Also worked the taxus…and it broke my spirit. The little three had 6 primary branches. Two on the right-hand side right on top of each other, so one had to go. The other 4 originated from the same major cut site, so two of them had to go. I ended up with three branches. I had already reduced it like crazy, so I didn’t want to shorten the two lower branches too much. Also left the new leader largely untouched as it’ll need to develop.
Y’all, it’s so ugly. I felt worthless when I was done. Just proof that I’ve not progressed as far as I thought I have. Couple that with the recent realization that my windy climate makes relying on top dressing as an indication for water a pipe dream. Idk, today was the first day that I felt discouraged about my pursuit. It’ll pass, but today was tough.
Reluctantly…here’s a pic. I’m going to need a ton of back budding on the left branch so I can compress on that side. Right side needs a major cut back to get it into proportion. Leader needs a billion years to develop. I may have to put this one into the ground. I also considered chopping it just after the first branch on the right to get rid of the straightness in the trunk.
A slight tilt helps it to go to fugly from fugly times two
I worked my pomegranate a few hours later as a “get back in the saddle” moment and that helped. The pomegranate will be dope some day…I hope. Thanks for letting me vent lol.