Big Fungus on my larch?

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well?

I need your help figuring something out and coming up with a plan of action…

We have been having a very wet and humid summer sofar. My moss is growing beatifully in the pots but also on parts of my trees trunks…

While i was inspecting my twin trunk larch i noticed a moist spot down low on the trunk. I hoped it would dry up but the weather stayed wet… today when i checked the spot i noticed grey/brownish fuzz like growth coming from that spot!

So now i am wondering what to do…

My plan would be to remove the fuzzy growth with the parts of the bark that has been contaminated and maybe topically treat with jin fluid.

What do you guys think? What is it? Could it be an extension of the fungi that are growing on the stump where i put my tree on? What would you do? Any help is very much appreciated! :pray:

Here two pictures. Close up shot of the trunk and one farther away with the other fungi.

I am new so take it with a grain of salt.

I would cover the soil surface and clean it with a toothbrush and white vinegar, to see if that dries it up and kills whatever that is.

If not then a more aggressive approach may be needed and I would ask Mirai directly.

I don’t think having the trees in close proximity to activity growing fungus is a great idea.

I would replace the stumps with cement blocks.

Somethings spread via airborne spores, so any fungus that is left close by could always become a issue especially in a wet climate.

It has been very wet in the Northeast this year as well and things are not looking great, even the flowers in the garden are just giving up.

I would address it immediately and after the vinegar treatment I would try to get it in the sun, or even run a fan on it on a porch or something to ensure the bark dries out.

Personally I would even remove all the moss from the soil surface to prevent moisture issues.

I like moss, but I don’t know if it is always the best idea to let it run rampant.
It could be removed and saved to be shredded and put back on later when things dry out.

I can here people screaming already…

Best of luck!

1 Like

I would recommend at least removing the moss on the wood.
Tin foil and a plastic bag covered with a rag to catch the drips should allow you to apply white vinegar with a toothbrush to the bark.

It is nice moss, so if you remove it, it could be saved or grown in a tray for later use.

1 Like

@CMP thank you very much for your reply! Its much appreciated.

What ive done sofar goes along the lines of what you recommended. I removed any moldy/rotting/wet bark and applied some jinfluid to where the fungus was growing.
Additionally i removed any moss creeping up the bark and treated those parts with vinegar water solution.
Then as you recommended aswel i removed some of the moss near the base and uncovered some more of the roots.
Now its all left to dry and sofar (touch wood :sweat_smile:) the moss and fungus have not come back. The bark looks younger down there but that was to be anticipated…

While i was at it i checked all my other trees and my oh my did i find a lot of moss creeping up my trees :rofl: it has all been nuked with vinegar water now :sunglasses:

I rather like that tree stump as a stand for my tree as it gives it a very rustic and natural appearance but yeah i agree that the fungus might start to be a problem.

Has anyone got any recommendations on getting rid of that kind of large size fungus on a stump?

On the logs you could remove the bark.
Brush them clean, wash with a bleach solution and poly them with a exterior poly when dry and that would give you a fungus free wood base.

But it would be a fair amount of work.
As long as the bark exists fungus could grow.
Even poly’d the ends could develop more fungus and they would require yearly maintenance.

Good luck

1 Like