Beech fungus infection?

Hi bonsai enthusiast,

i have a problem with my beech forest which is getting a major problem with time. It started 3-4 weeks ago. Some leaves of the forest got brown spots but i weren’t panicking because we got hit by a heat wave and i assumend that just some leaves got burnt. So i put the tree in shadow where it is till then.

Unfortunately the first leaves completely died and the browning of the leaves still continues, so i think it is definitely not only a sunburn of the leaves. This picture shows how it starts. The browning of the leaves continues till they dry out and fall off.

I made a small research and found out that beeches sometimes have a fungus which turns the leaves brown till they fall off but the pics i find on the internet for this fungus don’t really look like in my case. This for example:
fagus-apiognomonia-errabunda4-g

Do you guys think that the symptoms look the same? Or do you guys have any idea what the trees are suffering from? I am happy about every idea or thought.
Thank you for your help.

3 Likes

Could this be from insects, perhaps some sort of leaf miners? I’d check for insects on the tree that could be feeding on the foliage.

1 Like

I checked the leaves several times. There were some white flies but just a few and i already got rid of them. Besides them you can’t see any insects.

I’d suggest asking Ryan directly than via a Live or Forum Q&A, hopefully he’ll have an answer for you.