Beech - Fungal Issue? Or Insect?

Thanks NE Beech! On my side my bonsai do not show any sign of BLD yet… but I bought small seedlings in a nursery next to me two year ago I lost half of it and they had those symptoms (layered leaves). I put them away from my beech bonsai trees for now. Hoping to hear any specific preventive care. Meanwhile, continuing styling and refining my trees :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love that, greenhouse set up looks nice as well. Very smart with the projection screen as the backdrop. Do you have any additional pictures of the setup?

From my reading keep the trees as strong and healthy as possible is the best proactive play. I have not done any apical testing but I have wondered could something like silaca be enough to reduce the probability of infection or spread?

Walking through to woods in Massachusetts I almost never see a single tree or stand of trees infected and others thriving seems like the spread is constant growing. This is also probably do to the shared root systems of native beech in these rocky outcrops.

1 Like

Is that a Fagus Grandifolia or Sylvatica? Either way I love it

It’s a Fagus sylvatica

Sure. I set it up this summer so still working through it. I wanted a cold shelter for being able to work on my trees longer and protect them from cold weather here in Long Island. And my wife was tiré to see our garage transformed into a design studio. Haha.

Hi NEBeech, I also upgraded to pro with the new app. I watched the Q&A thanks for your question. Feel like we need to do soil sap testing to control the potential threat of BLD.

Yeah I think your right. I have to start with a water test then testing the Beech I have in my landscape (not infected) and my bonsai. hopefully all this season.