Arakawa Japanese Maple Repot

Today I repotted an Arakawa I repotted in 2020. It wasn’t fully root bound, but it had filled the pot. There was a sapling planted in the pot with the main tree that was a donor for a thread graft branch. I separated the thread graft last fall.
It took about 90 minutes to work out the root system and separate the sapling from the main tree.
I had bought a really nice pot that I thought would fit the tree, but it turned out to be too small. I had to scrounge my pot collection but only had 2 that would work. I went with the white bowl for now because the shallower lotus pot was just a bit small. I’ll be looking for a better pot for the next repot, but I think it turned out ok. What do you think?

2 Likes

It is coming along quite nicely. The root pad looks good. I think a shallower oval would look good.

1 Like

I agree about a shallow oval pot. Unfortunately I didn’t have one of the right size on hand. I had one that was too small and one that was way to large, so I had to go with something that was half way acceptable. I’m going to see a local ceramist this weekend to pick up a pot for another tree. Hopefully she will have something that would work for the next repot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The good news is that you have a couple of years to find just the right pot. It is worse to have the right pot which you find after having fully prepped the one that is too large, but not as bad as finding it after you complete the repot.

1 Like