Another day. Another trip to the nursery

@Bonsai_Bentley my strategy as well! Actually trying NOT to add more trees but we’ll see how well that works out when I’m in the vendor area at some show or when my favorite nursery puts up their 50% off signs at the end of next year! Check in with me next fall and we’ll compare how we’ve fared. lol

1 Like

The club organizes a monthly workshop. As I didn’t have any tree to work on this month (that’s the ticket!), I made a small detour trough a nursery to grab a thin Cedrus atlantica ‘Glauca’ I had spotted months ago.

As usual, I forgot to take a ‘before’ picture and only took an ‘in progress’. I’ll take a picture of the tree as it stands now when there’s light again. There was a very believable tree using the two lowest branches but I decided to go tall and elegant for this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this blog post from Michael Hagedorn describes my situation pretty well :wink:

https://crataegus.com/2019/09/21/what-we-dont-like-talking-about-too-many-bonsai/

4 Likes

Welp, I do believe I’ve finally hit my limit. Not because I feel overwhelmed by the number of trees I have, but because I’ve run out of room. I’m pretty happy with my collection though. I’d like one or two more natives, but no big whoop.

Same here. The question is what to do next year when you find that nursery piece that is so amazing that we can’t pass on it? :wink:

Would be nice to be able to “trade” nursery material, but not sure there are enough bonsai-enthusiast density in each geographical area to make that practical.

1 Like

My wife bet me that I couldn’t go a week without buying another plant…and then I checked out the clearance section at Lowe’s the next day. :laughing: Yeah, idk what I’m gonna do. I can always make more flower beds to put posts and/or benches in, but I don’t want to clutter up the yard too much.

1 Like

I will be very happy when our yard is completely out of grass and fully taken over by garden beds and benches.

2 Likes

Some great finds, really like the base on the first one.

1 Like

Thanks, they’re all doing well too. I cut back that first one hard and it’s flushing out now. It’s pretty cool, but I’m gonna have to learn how to reduce the leaf size at some point. It’s a Julianne Barberry.

1 Like

I’m starting to get the nursery itch myself. Nothing good is out till February in Utah tho.

1 Like

Ha - it’s the 1st week of April in the Boston area =)

2 Likes

My Lowe’s is already getting in new plants. None of the big box stores really had to do a clearance on anything except their holiday plants.

UPDATE!

Even though I previously stated that I wanted to focus my attention on the trees that I have and STOP bringing in more trees, I just received some seeds in the mail, am researching seedling bed preparation, trying to figure out where to put a larger greenhouse, and looking at adding a irrigation system to increase my capacity.

I am totally giddy about the whole thing.

This is my brain on winter.

3 Likes

Resistance is futile :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Nah that’s a bad idea - said the guy with about 300 fresh prunus spinosa seeds, 150 fresh JBP seeds, 50 JWP seeds, uncounted packs of fresh jmaple seeds and a large amount of fresh zelkova seeds as well :partying_face:

It’s going to be a busy spring.

1 Like

I’m currently getting well over 100 elm seeds and some 50 mystery seeds I pulled off of a tree in a Lowe’s parking lot ready to be put into soil Monday. :man_shrugging:t4: I remember when past Bonsai_Bentley said that he’d stop…he was delusional. :laughing:

4 Likes

Here are the trays. May the strongest ones win. :smiley:

Two of these

3 Likes

I swear this wasn’t planned…

So… today I walked in a shop to kill 40 minutes before a medical appointment. It turns out they have just received a shipment of large olive trees at a deep discount. I go to the appointment, then I go back to the shop to buy the largest one they had… unfortunately it sold in the 30 minutes it took me to come back.

I checked the normally off-limit warehouse and found another one, just slightly smaller. I bought it and came back to pick it up with a trailer. Getting it off the trailer stretched my arms a few inches.

Pugs for size:

The plan now is to air-layer it within 1’ of the forks… then maybe it will be light enough to repot with only 2 people :slight_smile:

Details of the bark on the trunk:

3 Likes

Hahahahahahaha, wow! You win!

This is what i would do. Sorry if the addition of more pugs is a bit subtle…who can have too many pugs?? :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s not many pugs…
(no photoshop involved)

Yeah the idea is to go back down to that level or thereabouts… even possibly to one single trunk line.

3 Likes