3D Printing (Ceramics)

I am exploring 3d technology and bonsai. From today’s Q&A, I posed a question about Ryan’s opinion on using 3D printed containers. I am very much intrigued by this, see link below.

3 Likes

Very interesting @Cjlopez4
What type of tree would you put in a 3D pot?

Andy, unlike traditional methods, instead of searching for for the right container, with 3D we could custom the design for each respective tree, I don’t see the limits other than the material the container is made of and how that material affects the environment ie…air flow, water retention and temperature.

1 Like

Great potential. I would be tempted to go for something a little unorthodox.

I know next to nothing about 3D printing, but I’ve heard that some of the materials used are (1) toxic if ingested or (2) quick to degrade.

If true: is there (or could there be) a toxicity issue for trees?

Would 3D printed pots be inherently for short term use (like wood pots)?

If we are talking plastics, yeah there is some of that going on. Consumer grade SLA printers can only really use plastic spools which are melted, but these plastics are also very susceptible to UV degradation and warping via heat of the sun.

Professional places can print with UV resistant plastics, and some can even use epoxies that are UV cured. They might be more stable outside, but I have no clue on toxicity. They still will probably not hold up to the wear and tear of years and years of use outside.

All that said, the above videos look like the medium is actual clay, which is pretty cool. That means it shouldn’t be any more toxic than regular clay, and should be just as resilient and non-toxic (assuming they are firing these like a normal clay body should be fired) . I like that first video, a pot with that pattern could have aeration holes all over the place and could be pretty rad. Certainly neat to conceptualize.