Why are some leaves turning yellow

I have an elm that has some leaves turning yellow, and don’t know why it is happening!
Any help with this would be appreciated. IMG_20200601_075323|375x500 .

Hi Luis, it could be spider mites. There is a stream about detecting and treating them but basically take a sheet of white paper, hold it below the leaves and tap the leaves. Check on the paper for tiny (you will probably need a magnifying glass) insects crawling about. If that is what it is spray with a suitable insecticide. It’s best not to use a systemic on Chinese elm as sometimes it causes it to defoliate.

Luis! Did this work itself out?
Probably just mid -summer shedding of used up spring leaves.
My elms are doing this, too.
In your photo, notice the yellow leaves are all smaller, and the extension leaves are huge…
Now is the proper time to cut back the extensions, or at least the terminal leaf or three. Forces the tree to start new buds- leaves, further back-- for limb ramification.
Unless, you want the tree to get real big faster. Let em run for two summers, then cut back. Elms are resilient, and will bud back easily. I think of it as reaching critical mass… where they get big enough to put on trunk size fast.
One of MY favorite bonsai Asian elms was a volunteer , mowed for three summers before I took pity on it…

Already cut back the 12" extensions to 2-3 leaves. Backbudding is already evident. Will do this again in 3 weeks.
Bonsai On!

1 Like

Going to check tomorrow for spider mites and hope that is not the case.

No spider mites I am happy about that. It looks like it worked itself out. I don’t have leaves turning yellow. It must be the tress was not happy I cleaned up the area and mowed some grass. They are looking good so far.

Now it is time to decide if I would be leaving the branches to grow or to cut back. They are still in development so might want to get the branches thicker before cutting back.

1 Like