White tips on needles

Hello can someone tell me what’s going on here? The tips of the needles are white. I just noticed this after a heavy rain. Also I don’t know what species this is, the guy I got it from said it’s a spruce, but I’m not sure

1 Like

How do the tips look after your posting? Have the white spots appeared anywhere else or are they still localized on the tips?

-M-

Still looks the same. :grin:

Hmm…I am somewhat perplexed.

First thought was that it was a scale insect but since it is isolated at tips, it does not make sense. Also a fungal disease would make sense with damper conditions, but this tip coloration could simply be a cultivar attribute, part of the tree’s reproductive process, or a seasonal change. For example, the needle tips of the Picea abies in this spring picture look arguably white (picture is of Picea abies producing it’s spring cones).

https://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/piab9.htm

Anybody else have ideas?

Please keep us posted with any updates or changes @sunnspot! Also, it may be useful to identify tree to a couple species to aid with situation and future care. Looks Picea to me!

Will keep researching.

-M-

Looks like sap and seems healthy, may just be a normal aspect of this species or variety. In my experience, fungal disease attacks new growth the hardest, and yours has no sign of these white spots.

2 Likes

I agree with @Brad, the tree is pushing a lot of resources. Junipers will push sap through their foliage when they are pushing resources also.
Your is healthy and doing fine :metal:t2::evergreen_tree::grinning:

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your help. It’s good news then :slightly_smiling_face: