White branches on Japanese Maple

Hi guys. I’ve been meaning to post this for a few months but keep forgetting to take the pictures I required for the post.
I noticed some branches on my Japanese Maple had started to turn white. It’s only happened on a few branches and the rest of the tree has grown as normal.
Any ideas for the cause and if there is a remedy so I can learn more about the whys And wherefore for future use and knowledge building.

s

Many thanks in advance,
-Steve

Well their definitely dead. Possibly from winter cold damage? So you should prune them off. I have noticed that when Japanese maples branches die off they turn a lighter color as the chlorophyll fades, I’m guessing something something like that. But that white is a little odd for sure!

1 Like

Agree to remove them. They should turn very pale but rather grey when dead, the white is weird and never seen anything like it on my 2 mapples. I would definitely check all possible diseases as it seems like it. Just noticing green tips on these branches (well as much as the resolution of the picture allows me)
Did you try and scratch it to see whether you get to cambium?

1 Like

…also just zoomed the pic and saw these white spots on healthy branches too. Interesting is that leaves are all fine. I would guess it’s some fungus disease there and you better act fast.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies and help @Mike_Hennigan & @CoffeeCherry.

I will definitely remove the damaged branches as mentioned. As of yet I haven’t done any scratching of the branches, nor have I looked into possible diseases that could be linked to these white branches but it’s something I will definitely look into

1 Like

For sure. Going forward, remember that dead branches are a great place for diseases to breed. The sooner you remove dead material on your deciduous trees, the healthier they will stay.

1 Like

Thank you that mike, it’s really appreciated.

1 Like